Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Saracen, would you?
  • portlyone

I seem to recall that they have a bit of a dodgy past but what’s the general concensus now?

Thinking of getting a Ariel 151 to replace my old Heckler and after seeing the other thread wondered if there were positive comments to go with the few negative ones.

Cheers

cokie

I’ve only heard good things since their comeback. They’ve got a few years under their belt with the Ariel and is a proven design. I know a few people that rate the Ariel highly. I wouldn’t have an issue buying one.

psycorp
    Free Member

I have.

chored
    Free Member

I got an Ariel 14x frame at the end of last year, my first full-suss bike and I really like it. Only done a couple of hundred miles so far, but nothing wrong so far…

I’ve also got a 2012 Zen-X hardtail and my experience with that was part of the reason I went for the Ariel.

chestrockwell

I would. Totally different now compared to the wilderness years and always seem to get reasonably positive reviews. My first MTB being a 1989 Tufftrax helps as well. 😀

bullroar
    Free Member

I think there are positive comments on the other thread. For the avoidance of doubt I put the issue down as an annoyance rather than something major.

Aside from that the bike (mine is a 14X frame) is very well made and detailed. It rides superbly and is an absolute hoot. Climbs well (unlike me) and is quite at home heading down pretty much anything I have shown it from Cannock to BPW or the Lakes, Peak and Scotland.

honourablegeorge

Local shop are dealers, the outgoing 26″ bikes were all lovely. Heard nothing but positives on the new 27.5 ones too.

The bushing thread is obviously a worry, but if that’s a small issue, then the bikes themselves are quality.

And the frames ship with included headsets, dropouts and all sorts of little extras too, which is nice.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Madison are good to deal with and as the own Saracen it removes one layer of bureaucracy if the worst does happen.Instead of having to go through an importer,who then has to deal with a brand abroad.
    Ultimately buy from a shop you have a good relationship with as they are your first call.
    Yep…I’d buy one.

deviant
    Free Member

Get one!

The carbon swing arm on the alu front triangles has had some play on some models. The distributor is good with replacing bushings and bearings and full frames if need be.

I had the full aluminium 140mm travel bike (I believe the 16X/160mm version is also full alu) and it was great!…slack long and low before it became all the rage (2012 when they relaunched I bought mine), southern DH/ride it out website really rated them and described them as a mini downhill bike. They even forked out their own money to keep the long termer test bike to use as a guide bike in the Alps.

Mine was stolen….bastards, I’d have another though.

hora
    Free Member

Its abit like Skoda of the bicycle world. Some people still remember the real Saracens… its sarc’in 😆

:mrgreen:

Sancho
    Free Member

Girlfriend has one and if it fit me I would be riding it all the time 😉

But a really nice balanced bike, with a plush suspension.

Not that light though, hers is 32lb all up.
    Think a load of that is the rear cassette.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have done and would do again.

I had the same year’s ariel as deviant, it was possibly the most fun bike I’ve owned but heavy as an anchor

The Zen from the same year was brilliant and my favourite 26in hardtail. Very nicely made frame.

Wonder if they’ll update the geometry on the Ariel for next year’s model, giving it a longer front centre?

ifra
    Free Member

I have a 2014 Kili Flyer. Had no issues with at all, I have uprated a few things through personal preference. Its my first full suspension bike and I love it.

portlyone

Thanks everyone, lots of positive there.

What about sizing, I’m 5’10ish but have shorter than average legs… usually means I’m between sizes. I will hopefully try before I buy.

PJM1974
    Free Member

That Saracen Havoc brings back memories…

My first ever serious mountain biking trip involved a borrowed Havoc (in that exact colour scheme) and a weekend in the Peaks. That beast weighed 40lbs, had cable disk brakes and forks that were nigh on useless. I did fifty five miles over the August Bank Holiday weekend in 2003 on that monster.

But I fell in love with MTBing that weekend and haven’t looked back.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If they made the best bike in the world I still couldn’t buy one.
    Same with Skoda and cars.
    I would pick something from giant or similar instead.

This below is unforgivable.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think I would you know – having one is hardly holding back Manon Carpenter!

Quick glance at their site though… Ariel 152 with a Alu main-frame for £3300 or a Capra CF Pro for a few quid more or a Comp for a few quid less, both which have great spec (brand loyalty notwithstanding) and a full carbon frame and all-but perfect reviews from media and riders.

The top Spec Alu Capra is a grand cheaper than the 152 too.

jonathan
    Free Member

It’s not quite like Skoda. Skoda were crap, and then got bought and became OK. Saracen started out great….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/8ogXxH]The full effect…[/url] by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

..and had some fantastic bikes in the 80s (Tufftrax etc). Then it went horribly wrong for a while. I’m happy the brand is back. I had a 27.5 Xen for a while – it was a nice bike.

If a brand is old enough then often they’ve had some awful periods. I rode some Giant carbon bikes in the early 90s that have put me off them for life 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both Ariel and Kili bikes and I have to say the Kili is bang on for my mincing riding style. It flatters nicely without biting too badly when you exceed your skill levels.

hatter

Would you?

Already have

toppers3933
    Free Member

I have had the privilege to own or ride a lot of bikes over the years, Santa Cruz, Intense, treks, yetis etc. I currently own a Saracen 12x kili flyer and it is without doubt one of the best all round bikes I’ve ever owned. It does everything very well and is a real hoot to ride. I Know of a few frames with bush issues but I’ve not had a problem. I have always found Madison to be spot on with their warranty anyway so it doesn’t bother me at all. Built it up with 130mm revelations and XT 1×10 and she’s a beaut. Am seriously considering a carbon one or possibly sell the frame and build up an ariel.

qwerty
    Free Member

Naa, i’d get a Vitus.

codybrennan
    Free Member

My only MTB right now is a Mantra Elite, 27.5 hardtail. Its great, I’m very happy with it. Would definitely get another Saracen.

Northwind

I would. Even though we have 2 halfordz sarcinz in the garage, a 40lb rufftrak hardtail and a urt raw full suss, both incredibly awful. It’s not the same company.

legend
    Free Member

Would

portlyone

I’d ride the old middle ‘sarc’in’ if they were going to pay me 😉

Interesting that they don’t have an enduro team, haven’t checked for independants

hatter

Interesting that they don’t have an enduro team,

Continental Saracen?

Ale King Vid

Andyhilton
    Free Member

In response to this thread we have ordered a couple of Saracens available for demo.

Any enquiries please give us a ring on 0161 491 3191 and ask for Andy. Bikehaus-Gatley.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve contacted Portlyone and offered a test ride.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Got myself a 2nd hand Myst a few months ago and it’s mint. Looks great and rides really well. As above, it’s not held Manon back 😛

tonyja
    Free Member

UR BIK IS SARACING

*Only the old school riders will understand this

tonyja
    Free Member

It’s actually a real shame what happened to the Saracen brand. The TuffTrax, Trekker and Kili Flyers of the 80s were the absolute bikes to have if you didn’t fancy a Muddy Fox Courier or Explorer. Virtually indestructible and a great intro to all day riding and racing.

It was the monstrosities that followed led to the slur…

nach
    Free Member

I would. Got to ride a few different models of Kili Flyer in the past year and enjoyed them all. They made me confident enough to go for a Saracen when buying a road bike last year, and that’s been great too.

(The Kore saddles they ship are absolute murder on your arse if you’re more used to a Spoon though).

wysiwyg
    Free Member

2001/2 SARACING came about. Was deffo pre feb 03 and mbuk forum didnt start till oct 00

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I don’t know if I would but I’d certainly try one and see if I liked it.

The name wouldn’t put me off whatsoever.

nickc

Hatter, that looks ace, is that the Kili Flyer?

bright
    Free Member

I’ve hires a 151 a couple of times and it is an excellent bike, different to my Orange Five but excellent none the less. If you are in the area or plan to be Castle Bikes in Caerphilly will hire you one for £40 which you would have all day to ride wherever you fancy. If you got to the shop early doors then Afan, Cwmcarn, FOD, BPW or the excellent local stuff around the shop are all options!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yes I have a 14X custom build, (great spec) great bike. Great all rounder, punches above it 140 travel DH.

It is up for sale as complete bike or frame.

hatter

Hatter, that looks ace, is that the Kili Flyer?

Why thank you kind sir *blushes*

Yeah it’s an XL 2014 Kili built up from the frame. Had it since November.

Stiggy

There’s a 19″ Kili Flyer X frame for sale in the classifieds you know… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Saracen, would you?’ is closed to new replies.