Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Santa Cruz chameleon or highball?
  • lee170
    Free Member

Looking for a new hardtail, toying with the idea of the whyte 909, been browsing this morning and now seen the chameleon and the highball, I know the difference is the wheel size but what would you recommend?
    I’ve never ridden a 29er but ride a 700c hybrid to work.
    I’ve had an old chameleon and it was great. But I don’t want to splash out 2k+ on a 26 inch and regret it as everyone’s now moved on to bigger wheels.
    Can’t find a demo either of the bikes, near me anyway

fanatic278
    Free Member

Need to know your height and type of riding. I have a highball for cruising through the Scottish highlands and find it ideal. I wouldn’t recommend it for trail centre riding though.

nickc

Had the last model Chameleon for 5 years or so, it was an amazing bike. Could run 100-140mm forks with no problems it was amazingly well planted, and could turn it’s hand to more or less everything. The rumours of it being harsh are a bit overstated, as long as you’re fit it’ll be fine. If I had any criticisms; chose the model size carefully, I’m 5’10” but used a Large to get a nice long front centre, the smaller ones are pretty short in the TT. The seat stays are v short (that may or may not be a good thing in your books). It’s a lot of money for a reasonably boggo ali hard tail.

Alternatives; Cotic Bfe, Privee Shan, NS Bikes Eccentric

Honestly, just choose the bike you want; 26″ stuff isn’t going away anytime soon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

650b chameleon on the way 😉

lee170
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 7 and ride trail centres,natural moorland trails. A bit of everything really.

A 650 chameleon on its way
    Any idea when??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz chameleon or highball?’ is closed to new replies.