• This topic has 40 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • Santa Cruz bronson any good?
  • JCL
    Free Member

Jcl i work in a very busy lbs workshop and have to say that I am constantly amazed that no one looks at how a spesh is put together and questions the quality of the build.
    The bearings are a tiny spec non angular contact , soft hard ware that the customer has usually already stripped, whole bike has to be stripped to get to the main pivot , double blind bearings in the stays , conical washers to hold everything together I could go on.
    Bronson : two Allen keys to service the very high quality angular contact bearings.
    Just sayin.

Yep I hear you. Santa Cruz frames are nicely built, better than the Mondrakers etc that come out of that factory. Still not as good as Giant carbon construction though. Specialized (Merida’s) manufacturing is pretty average, look down the seat tube on my E29 and its a mess! However, the fundamentals, geo and suspension are better than most and that’s what matters to me.

That said, I helped out at the LBS with a seized bearing on a TB LTC last year. It was a nightmare to be honest. Bolt rounded, ended up having to cut. A slot through the bolt face and drill through the other side, trashing the upper link in the process. At least with sealed bearings and aluminium pivot bolts they can always be tapped out. The mechanics said it happens with the angular contacts from time to time.

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Santa Cruz bronson any good?’ is closed to new replies.