Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sandstone Way
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Thoughts, views anyone ridden it or parts of it? is it worth the effort?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

cheers

surfer
    Free Member

I ran it last year. Dont think it would be great on a bike quite a few stiles.

Edit: scratch that I mixed it up with the Sandstone trail in Cheshire

muddy9mtb

mbr have a write up on it in this months may edition looks okay for a long intermediate ride with a group of mates just wanting to get some distance in without too much technical stuff
    http://www.sandstoneway.co.uk/

smashit
    Free Member

muddy9mtb – Member

mbr have a write up on it in this months may edition looks okay for a long intermediate ride with a group of mates just wanting to get some distance in without too much technical stuff
    http://www.sandstoneway.co.uk/

^^ Pretty much the gist of it. We are doing some guided rides this year if anyone wants an easy option ;).
    https://www.skedaddle.co.uk/biking/holiday/Mountain_Biking/UK_-_Northumberland_-_Sandstone_Way_-_Mountain_Bike_Weekend/655/view.rails

fergal
    Free Member

Looks monumently dull, a lot of country roads and landy tracks, with short sections of grassy BW, spice it up by doing the alternative route up to broadstruther (not way marked) above Wooler, some singletrack sections.

Just bought the map to see where it goes south of Wooler, disappointed.

beano68
    Free Member

Anyone done this recently ? looking at doing it soon….ish

muddy9mtb

if your looking for a long distance “off road” ride without many technical bits then yes (perhaps a cross over from road biking?) that seems to be the gist of this route, it’s only dull if your looking for long distance mental challenge stuff the likes you get on routes in the peaks, dales or lakes. You may call it dull, others may say that’s perfect. There are always sections you can turn off and head towards a piece of rocky stuff if that’s your fancy.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Video of official opening:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drduq0-WgCc[/video]

From the military road back to Hexham. Cheezy euro-pop doesn’t really liven it up enough, and in fact the one fun and fast bit of trail isn’t even shown!
    Reckon it could be a good challenge for a day-trip though, I’m planning on doing it this year when there’s a good north-easterly breeze. First train to Berwick and ride home to Hexham.

ninfan
    Free Member

That’s great – it’s like mountain biking used to be before all the ‘super rad gravity gnarcore enduro scalextric’ rubbish started!

nodrog2
    Free Member

I’ve ridden bits of it over the years. Perfect for a CX bike if you want to cover it quickly. Alternatively use a mountain bike if riding with a group of mates at a more relaxed pace. Throw in a few pub stops and you’ll have a great few days. Certainly nothing technical on it. It’s more about the scenery and just getting out riding. Having said that there are plenty of off piste trails along the way if you know where to look if you want to spice it up with some technical stuff. These trails aren’t directly on the route though, you’d have to seek them out. They are there though.

FOG

Wow, I wish my primary school had had an mtb club! With gurrls and everything !
    In fact I wish bicycles had been invented when I was at primary school.
    Seriously though folks what a great way of getting youngsters started in our glorious sport/hobby.

Drac

That’s great – it’s like mountain biking used to be before all the ‘super rad gravity gnarcore enduro scalextric’ rubbish started!

😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

it’s like mountain biking used to be

The old boy in the pale blue Paramo jacket is Ted Liddle who created the route. He’s been biking since the dawn of time, so its not surprising. Canny chap, quite rapid given he had a knee replacement last year.

Drac

The old boy in the pale blue Paramo jacket is Ted Liddle who created the route.

I think I rode with about 18 years ago. 😯

ninfan
    Free Member

Yes, Ted is a proper North East legend, along with the wonderful Derek Purdey 😀

neilthewheel

How is Derek, not heard anything of him for a while.
    We all know what a splendid chap that Ted Liddle is, Mr bandito!

Drac

Yes, Ted is a proper North East legend, along with the wonderful Derek Purdey

I have/had no idea who he is but the name rang a bell so I googled him. Recognised him from a big ride I did some time back with a few mates and another group.

Derek Purdy I’ve heard of thanks to his great book.

paul4stones

Is Derek Purdey still around? Most excellent book. Except that Rotheryhaugh route!

ninfan
    Free Member

Last spoke to Derek about three years ago, I had done him a trade deal on some tights and a winter jacket – IIRC he had just recovered from a broken leg, but there was a proper westerly wind on, and he was hoping to use the tailwind to break his PB along the military road 8)

The mountain bike guides were legendary, I think a lot of us cut our ‘proper’ mountain biking teeth on them – finding ourselves approaching dusk, half lost, freezing cold, soaking wet feet, covered in mud and rapidly approaching sense of humour failure 😆 – I do hope he’s in fine fettle!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sandstone Way’ is closed to new replies.