Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Sandblasting stonework..
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Has anyone had a go at this themselves? We’re doing an old bothy up and the sandstone looks sad and the stonework doesn’t look too presentable either from all the Scottish winters… I’m guessing wet blasting is cheaper but maybe not ideal on brickwork and mortar?

I wouldnt mind having a go myself if it saves a few quid but I doubt you can rent the right kit that easily?

Has anyone had it done on a face or faces of their building and if so what kinda cost was it per m2 or how long did it take please

Thanks

globalti
    Free Member

If it’s Scottish red sandstone you need to be very cautious about blasting off the weathered outer layer, which will expose much softer stone to wind and rain erosion. Why not learn to love the patina of venerable age in the same way that a well-worn but well-maintained bike or piece of climbing kit should be loved?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I did it on a mate’s cottage because he didn’t like ladders!

Took 2 days to do 4 sides with a trailer compressor hired from A-Plant.

But it was away from other buildings so didn’t need sheeting off, and the clean up was left to him. Looked great when it was done.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Recently paid 750 for 3 days blasting of internal brickwork and timber. Used crushed recycled glass as blasting with sand is no longer acceptable. That included a clean up. Did it dry as far quicker and less real world mess. Guy thoroughly knows what he’s doing regarding grading of material and pressures though as the wrong choice can destroy whatever youre blasting or whatevers around it. And a dust mask won’t suffice 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Sandblasting stonework..’ is closed to new replies.