• This topic has 272 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mt.
Viewing 33 posts - 241 through 273 (of 273 total)
  • same sex marridge cake
  • grum
    Free Member

From looking at the case it seems the folk ordering the cake have gone out of their way to deliberately provoke this row in order to get a business whose views they don’t agree with to be taken to court. Loads of other places they could have had their cake made.

Actually it seems the bakers have gone out of their way to ‘make a stand’. They could just have said they were too busy.

Northwind

konabunny – Member

Well, I just spoke spoke to my friend who’s a gay Catholic baker

This reminded me of the David Cameron “Last week, I met” generator website, and no joke, I just ran it a couple of times and it came up with:

“Last week, I met a Muslim baker, who told me that homosexual activists killed Diana.”

Random word generator gains sentience, impersonates singletrack

kennyp
    Free Member

Junkyard, firstly, using terms like “giant sky fairy” is just childish trolling so why not give it a rest.

Secondly, the cake shop owners weren’t refusing to serve the chap because he is gay. For all we know he may be in there every other day buying cakes left, right and centre. The shop owner said they weren’t comfortable making a cake with a particular slogan on it. They didn’t castigate the chap for being gay, they didn’t try and stop him from going to another cake shop, they didn’t stop him buying a cake and then putting his own slogan on it.

They simply turned down a piece of business they didn’t feel comfortable with taking on. They are the ones being discriminated against by being forced to carry out actions they aren’t comfortable with.

It’s sad to see an organisation who claim to stand up for people being victimised and discriminated against then indulging in exactly the same victimisation and discrimination. Pity they can’t just live and let live.

kennyp
    Free Member

Actually it seems the bakers have gone out of their way to ‘make a stand’. They could just have said they were too busy.

Or made a cake which tasted disgusting. I could give them advice there.

Junkyard
    Free Member

using terms like “giant sky fairy” is just childish trolling so why not give it a rest.

Forgive me
    FWIW i am not overly impressed with their/your message that I will burn in hell for ever being judged as a sinner by your god but I will get over it.

Secondly – what a massive collection of straw mans that have been addressed already. They discriminated against him due to their views on same sex marriage.

The directors and myself looked at it and considered it and thought that this order was at odds with our beliefs.

“It certainly was at odds with what the Bible teaches, and on the following Monday we rang the customer to let him know that we couldn’t take his order.”
    Seems pretty clear why they did it tbh.

They are the ones being discriminated against by being forced to carry out actions they aren’t comfortable with

Yes christians refusing service are indeed the victims here.
    Its awful when the law stops you being mean to people you dont like…you poor victim you.
    FWIW i dont much like the religious how far would you let me be shitty to them whilst seeing me as the victim. What utter bollocks.

Pity they can’t just live and let live.

yes N irleand is indeed a fantastic shining beacon of how christians manage to live side by side and just get on …its everyone else isn’t it?

Unfortunately [ for the religious]religious belief does not mean you get exemption from the law of the land in terms of non discrimination. Basically you need to treat everyone the same if you run a business.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

So it turns out that Cameron isn’t a frequent visitor to this site as he told the Commons he wasn’t aware of the case.

ransos
    Free Member

Pity they can’t just live and let live.

The bakers? I agree.

GrahamS

Basically you need to treat everyone the same if you run a business.

But the interesting twist there Junkyard, is that is seems pretty likely they would have refused to make that cake if the customer was heterosexual too – so they are treating everyone the same.

And on that point I think the case will fail.

Junkyard
    Free Member

we would all say that at work though wouldn’t we 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Basically you need to treat everyone the same if you run a business.

As has been stated time and time again, as far as I can see (and lots of others), they are treating everyone the same as they most likely would of refused to make that cake for anyone of any religious or sexual orientation.

It’s surely no different than an ethical web design company refusing to make pro fox hunting website or a design company with strong female rights policy refusing to do work they think might promote misogyny.

olddog

But the interesting twist there Junkyard, is that is seems pretty likely they would have refused to make that cake if the customer was heterosexual too – so they are treating everyone the same.

And on that point I think the case will fail.

Maybe – but there is a balance of judgement about that and it is a hypothetical, where as the actuality is they refused to produce a cake with a pro-equal marriage message for a gay person.

And importantly the law does also extend to a policy that when applied equally would disproportionately effect a protected category. So if you think that refusing to produce pro-gay marriage cakes is more likely to affect gay people then it is likely to be discrimination. [but I’m not a lawyer…]

Looks like the courts will get to decide.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard, firstly, using terms like “giant sky fairy” is just childish trolling so why not give it a rest

Burn the witch.

grum
    Free Member

It’s surely no different than an ethical web design company refusing to make pro fox hunting website or a design company with strong female rights policy refusing to do work they think might promote misogyny.

Not really. In fact it’s the complete opposite of your second example.

It’s more like a design company full of sexists refusing to do work that promotes equality, then publicly stating that they are ‘taking a stand’ against equality.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and then claiming,because some want to curtail their freedom to do this, that it is really them being discriminated against.

they are treating everyone the same as they most likely would of refused to make that cake for anyone of any religious or sexual orientation.

So I can refuse to make say cakes for Bar Mitzvahs and say its not against jews as I will refuse anyone who asks for a cake for that event …not the best argument I will ever hear tbh

olddog

As above, your examples don’t work. The equality act is protect those who may suffer discrimination and covers 9 categories. It is where society has determined it is unacceptable to discriminate. I am surprised that it seems to be news to a lot of people on here – anyone who is any sort of manager, runs a business or for that matter deals with other people at work in any way should be aware of this. When I worked in the NHS it was part of our mandatory training (along with child protection, data protection, infection control etc)

For ref the categories are:

being married or in a civil partnership
    being pregnant or having a child
    disability
    race including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin
    religion, belief or lack of religion/belief
    sex
    sexual orientation

GrahamS

Okay so flipping it around, how would you feel about a gay baker refusing to make a cake with a “pro-hetero” marriage message on it for a Christian “Hetero Rights” group? 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am fine with positive discrimination….you 😉

GrahamS

If the bakers are found to be at fault in this case then surely the same would apply to my case though. They’d be illegally discriminating based on religion and beliefs.

It’s all very tricky. I think they are all good questions to ask, but I’ve no idea what the right answers are.

loum
    Free Member

olddog – Member

…Maybe – but there is a balance of judgement about that and it is a hypothetical, where as the actuality is they refused to produce a cake with a pro-equal marriage message for a gay person….

Not sure that’s ever actually stated in the article, which describes the customer as a “gay rights activist”.
    As far as I am aware, the sexuality of the customer is never mentioned, and it would be pure conjecture to assume they were actually a “gay” “rights activist”. You don’t have to be gay to actively support gay rights.
    And to be fair, same sex marriage is a popular policy, most polls showing more than half the population supporting it. Even if this is only 51%, without knowing for certain one way or the other, that leaves the statistical likelihood of the customer being straight more than four times the chance of them being gay.

{0.51 x 0.9 > 1.00 x 0.1 ; Kinsey report estimating 10% population gay}

olddog

Okay so flipping it around, how would you feel about a gay baker refusing to make a cake with a “pro-hetero” marriage message on it for a Christian “Hetero Rights” group?

It would be discrimination assuming pro-hetero rights group isn’t code for anti-gay

(and assuming the courts determine it is discrimination in the real case)

olddog

Not sure that’s ever actually stated in the article, which describes the customer as a “gay rights activist”.
    As far as I am aware, the sexuality of the customer is never mentioned, and it would be pure conjecture to assume they were actually a “gay” “rights activist”. You don’t have to be gay to actively support gay rights

True, but I was answering a specific point and it was my second point that was more relevant:

And importantly the law does also extend to a policy that when applied equally would disproportionately effect a protected category. So if you think that refusing to produce pro-gay marriage cakes is more likely to affect gay people then it is likely to be discrimination. [but I’m not a lawyer…]

So the point I was making is that the sexual orientation of the activist doesn’t matter

project
    Free Member

any cake left

nealglover
    Free Member

I only make cakes for gay people.

Sue me 😉

project
    Free Member

Goes to another cake shop,

EASY.

GrahamS

I only make cakes for gay people.

Fairy cakes? 😉

kennyp
    Free Member

PS Just noticed the time Kenny P posted – quote lucky your “gay friend” was up at midnight for a quick chat about the cake issue.

Not that lucky Junkyard. He’d just finished a late shift. Doesn’t tend to turn in till one or two in the morning. Was also the reason I couldn’t talk to him earlier.

kennyp
    Free Member

FWIW i am not overly impressed with their/your message that I will burn in hell for ever being judged as a sinner by your god but I will get over it.

Go on then Junkyard, show me where I, or anyone else, has ever told you that? Surely not you trolling again? 🙄

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

D0NK

Go on then Junkyard, show me where I, or anyone else, has ever told you that?

Not much explicitly stated in the bible I believe but I’m pretty sure it is a common theme in christian religions.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_savn.htm
    http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/Hell
    https://www.facebook.com/atheistswillgotohell

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its pretty clear that the christian message is follow me let jesus into you heart and be saved. Dont and be damned
    I dont think this is even remotely close to a controversial view never mind be a troll. Perhaps you could explain what part I have got wrong?
    you may not like the bluntness of my language but the point is correct hence you need to cry troll rather than refute it with an argument of any description [ Hence why THM likes it though he may claim copyright on this tactic]

Not that lucky Junkyard. He’d just finished a late shift. Doesn’t tend to turn in till one or two in the morning. Was also the reason I couldn’t talk to him earlier.

You had done about 5 replies to me before you returned to that one. As I said very lucky you had a gay friend up at midnight to agree with you.

GrahamS

Junkyard, are you trying to out kennyp??

Junkyard
    Free Member

No not at all – is that a joke?

mt
    Free Member

there are some miracles that should never have happened.

Viewing 33 posts - 241 through 273 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘same sex marridge cake’ is closed to new replies.