• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Salsa Fargo owners – do you get on with yours? Any Great Divide vets opinions?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m pondering doing the ACA’s Great Divide route for 2013. Last summer I met a family of four, including two kids, the youngest who was under ten in Yellowstone NP who were riding the Divide route. They all rode ‘cross bikes. They had ridden a couple of sections N-S over a couple of summers.

From what I’ve seen of the route it seems pretty doable on cx bike, I understand there are some long paved and gravel road sections.

I thought something like a Salsa Fargo would be a bit more of a durable alternative to a pure CX bike. I have an On One Tinbred which I could swap the parts over from. I dont really want a flat bar 29er, but like the look of the Fargo.

Does anyone have one on here? what do you use it for? How well does it fulfil its design brief?

myheadsashed

A big chunk of the divide racers use 29rs

Coasting
    Free Member

You might also consider a Singular Gyrphon.Have raced mine extensively and an constantly surprised at how good abike it is.Would imagine that it would fit the bill perfectly for this

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pete I’d expect the Fargo to be heavier and feel slower.

I’d choose on the basis of how much crap I was carrying, if it’s a lot then wider tires and a stiffer frame make sense..

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi MC

You’re welcome to come and try mine any time you like. Awesome bike. A bit of a Swiss army knife of a bike.

It feels stable under load when I carry the little one on the back. I run it with Speccy Captain tyres which work really well both on and off road. The location of the disc mount on the chain stay is neatly done and the general finishing is excellent. I’ve used it for everything from road riding in Mallorca to cross rides to the likes of Glen Tilt and riding across the Campsies.

Cheers

Sanny

markenduro
    Free Member

I bought one last year and love it, do a bit of bikepacking and general touring on it, nice and stable loaded up and not too heavy unloaded. Lots of mud room for big tyres in frame and fork, have been out on rides where everyone else is on normal mtbs and not really felt under biked. They handle really well but the bb200 is a bit low if you are riding rutted tracks this can lead to some pedal strikes.
    If you are not sure get a test ride on one, if you are near the Midlands give me a shout and you can have a go on mine. Have a look at my flicker stream for some pics of how mine gets used, have a look at the singular gryphon as well, similar geometry but with less braze ons.
    P1010353

markenduro
    Free Member

Have a look here for enough opinion to make your head melt and see some good examples of how not to build one up http://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/salsa-fargo-thread-467422-86.html

Sam

David on Singular race team just did the Kiwi Brevet (1000km gravel race) came in 1st singlespeed and 8th overall on a Gryphon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Fargo owners – do you get on with yours? Any Great Divide vets opinions?’ is closed to new replies.