Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Salsa anything cages
  • plecostomus
    Free Member

Read that they break quite easily issues being that they seem to crack anybody have experience of this?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

got some on order so hope not,

But I suppose it depends on how much weight your going to put in them.

druidh
    Free Member

There does seem to have been a number of failures. I don’t know if they are related to over-loading, poor fitting, not using all the cage mounts or just poor manufacture/design.

doh
    Free Member

mine cracked at the welds on the tabs. it had a <kilo sleeping bag in it for a few hours there and back on an overnighter.
    even cheapy bottle cages hold water bottles with about the same weight for years with no issues.

apart from that very good 🙄

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

doh – was it mounted with all three tabs?

doh
    Free Member

2 tabs and hose clamps as per salsa instructions for if you dont have the 3 mounts.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Even when mounted properly, using all 3 mounts on Salsa forks and keeping the weight below 5lb (as Salsa say) they still snap … there’s a weak point as doh points out, they all go in the same place.

Basil

[/img][/img]

Er I wouldn’t bother!
    Thermarest prolite on one side ,Snugpak on otherside. 2nd tour feckers tried to kill me and broke me spokes in nowhere Scotland

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm. Might work by using the strap around the fork too – not that you should have to!

Edit: Basil – What did ISON/Salsa have to say about that?

cynic-al
    Free Member

My alu bottle cages always break over time.

No way would I trust that cage with something heavier in it without strapping to the fork!

easy to say with hindsight of course.

Basil

When we did this in July. Charlie posted he had sold hundreds without issue, and another member posted there was a steel version in development due to “problems”
    200 yards after screaming down a big hill to have one side pop into the wheel and the other side on examination to be cracked at all three tabs I have not replaced them again.
    I now put bottle cages on the forks and Santa has brought me an Alpkit Stingray

johnnystorm

Oh dear. I’ve got a pair on order. I’ll keep the loads light then. If its not salsa stems or racks its their cages cracking….

Nick

Just a poor design, mine are both cracked but as yet still holding on, I shan’t be using them again that’s for sure.

Can’t for the life of me understand why Salsa designed them like that, trying to combine the strap guide with the mounting plate is just silly, and they are still selling them!

I now put bottle cages on the forks and Santa has brought me an Alpkit Stingray

Yep, that is what I will be doing I think, although I’ll probably make a full frame bag to replace the one I made that still allows for a bottle cage inside the front triangle.

Basil

How heavy do you think a Thermarest Prolite Is??!!! 😯

Nick

They are easily knocked about, the bike falling over may well have accelerated the damage to mine but I’ve heard too many stories to have much optimism that even with care they will last.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Okey doke cheers for the info chaps and good pictures too. Don’t think ill be bothering then this time !

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Paid for mine, but using on a fargo fork so will strap it up and see what happens,

good job i have a minimalist rack to share the weight on the front end 😐

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

My second set have faired better than the first. I think that ditching the Salsa straps and knocking up some shockcord ones has helped … it’s very easy to put a lot of sideways pull on the cages with normal straps and besides, the standard straps are a bit too short and fiddly with cold hands 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Unfortunately for Salsa that looks like an opportunity for someone to jump in and make a much better one there. Good case of great idea, piss-poor implementation.

T1000
    Free Member

Have a look at bikebuddy.co.uk

These guys have been making something similar for almost 30yrs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Salsa anything cages’ is closed to new replies.