Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Safety wire on Shimano Brakes – will I die to death without it?
  • JoeG
    Free Member

I just got some new Shimano brakes. The instructions call for adding safety wire to the mounting hardware to prevent it from loosening. The mounting hardware has little holes in it for this purpose. 🙄

I’ve been running other brands of brakes for many years and never had a bolt come loose. 😕

Has anyone (apart from Shimano’s lawyers) ever put this wire on their brakes? 😕

Will I die to death in a truly horrible manner without it? :mrgreen:

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep certain death awaits you.
    Just it won’t be because you left off the lock wire off those brakes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will I die to death in a truly horrible manner without it?

Yes but I suggest not using the wire they supply but some much more expensive stuff that I have PP Gift of course

JoeG
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Yes but I suggest not using the wire they supply but some much more expensive stuff that I have PP Gift of course

Oooohhh – is it that new unobtanium plated kind? You can expect a deposit into your PP account shortly from the Bank of Nigeria! 😉

tom200

As the Americans would say “the product may fail resulting in a fall and possible death”.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

never used it

mmel
    Free Member

I’ve lock wired mine, but then I’m a geeky aero engineer who loves that kind of thing…….. 😯

JoeG
    Free Member

^ You effing nerd! 😆

tom200 – Member

As the Americans would say “the product may fail resulting in a fall and possible death”.

I am American, so I guess that’s what’s going to happen… 😥

jambo13
    Free Member

Eh? Is this wire for playing musical tunes whilst riding through ferns?

damascus
    Free Member

Think of the extra weight?

duir
    Free Member

Never used the wire, the odd plastic bits for under the caliper bolts or the ridiculous thin washers under the rotor bolts. Never had an issue.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve never bothered with the wire or those silly plastic clips and I’m not dead yet! I do put the washers under the rotor bolts though.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

mmel, bet you where heaven, not have to work with you hands above you head and been able to see where the holes are and going by feel, not scratching your forarms on other locking wire and all the space to use the wire-locking pliers when twisting! 😈 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Safety wire on Shimano Brakes – will I die to death without it?’ is closed to new replies.