• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Merak.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Runnists
  • Merak

Realise this may have been done to death but I’d like a back pack for running. What do you use?
    I’m not commuting just general duties on long runs, change of clothes etc.

tragically1969
    Free Member

And idea of size may be an idea, but the OMM 24 is the most comfortable pack i use for running other then a Salomon SLAB vest which you won’t want.

Merak

Compact and bijou, 20l capacity. I don’t want a big bag but enough to get a change of kit in with room to spare. Will check out OMM.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 for the OMM. They do (or did) two sizes and I think the smaller size was 20L.

Pieface

I have the Adventure Race Light which is 20 litres, and to be honest its pretty big. I’d be looking at a 10ltr pack at most, and IMO the OMM rucksacks smaller than 20ltr aren’t particularly good as they don’t have many handy accessory pockets.

When you say change of kit is that a complete change of clothes for running, or just emergency spares?

If its for long runs something like the Inov8 Race Ultra 5 may be better as there’s plenty of little pockets for small things, and then a 5 litre bag at the back. You’d be surprised how much stuff you can get in that 5 litres.

CraigW
    Free Member

I’d agree, 20l is quite a lot to be running with. I would go for a smaller bag if possible.

Also look at Ultimate Direction, they are pretty good, lots of handy pockets.

irelanst
    Free Member

I use the decathlon trail bag for my run commute and long runs, as per most of Decathlon stuff it’s 25% of the cost of whatever they copied it from and pretty much as good. It’s 15L at maximum capacity and easily takes a change of clothes for a commute or a shell & warm top for a long run. Soft flasks fit in the front pockets if you can’t get on with a bladder or are going for the full on ‘ultra’ look.

Merak

Glad, I raised it then. I’d like to get a full change of clothes in it. Perhaps not a Crombie coat and a pair of brogues but shoes and full change. Maybe a Deuter speed lite 15 or the like.

Pieface

Definitely look at something with bungee straps so it can be cinched in when its not full.

Merak

This is an excellent point^

mogrim

Another vote for “20l is pretty big for running”.

I’ve got a 12l Decathlon thing for winter which is just about big enough for a change of clothes. (For summer and ultras I use a 5l Salomon, more comfortable but nowhere big enough for what you want to carry). The Decathlon one cost a fifth of what the Salomon one cost, and while it’s certainly not as nice it isn’t 5 times less nice…

mogrim

Definitely look at something with bungee straps so it can be cinched in when its not full.

The Decathlon one I have has both bungee straps and a zip, the latter doubles the main compartment size when open.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-trail-bag-id_8312245.html

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’m running home this evening after work with an OMM Classic 32. It’s no-where near full but I like it as it’s longer than the smaller packs I tried, so the waist belt isn’t round the bottom of my ribs, more hip height. Not too expensive and enough pockets etc.

I also have an Inov8 RaceUltra 10, which I prefer for running as it just doesn’t bounce. Bit of a squeeze for shoes though.

So how about a 15l version https://www.inov-8.com/trail-running/equipment/packs-bags/all-terrain-pro-running-vest dunno what it’s like but might be best of both wolrds – I find the newer vest-style packs are actually really good, despite dismissing them as looking like fishing vests for ages!

TomHill
    Free Member

I use this from Montane for my run-commute.

Depending on what I have on that day, I’ll squeeze a set of work clothes and shoes, a laptop and some gym kit in there. It’s also got plenty of handy pockets at the front.

It will also be my Mountain Marathon pack, so need it to carry tent/food for a couple of days/sleeping bag etc. I could get away with something a smidge smaller, but this compresses well.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

While you’re all here gents ….

Where’s best/cheapest for picking up soft bottles?

Do decathlon do them ??

Ta

irelanst
    Free Member

I don’t think Decathlon do them yet. I’ve bought some from Wiggle in an emergency/moment of madness, they were silly expensive for what they are. Unless you really want soft flasks a standard ‘sports cap’ bottle from the supermarket is almost as good (until it splits and empties all down you).

SamB
    Free Member

I’m using a Nathan Vapor Air for all my pack duties now – running, cycling, skiing, it’s one bag for everything IMO.

2l of water, plus plenty of little pockets here and there. For MTB’ing I can get everything in nice and high and stable, no flappy rucksack or waistband. Skiing it works a treat, it’s snug enough to go under your ski jacket if you want so won’t freeze up. And obviously it’s great for running, enough space for a spare jacket etc.

Unfortunately I don’t think it’ll quite work for you – you definitely won’t get a pair of shoes in it! Maybe look at other stuff in the Nathan range though? https://www.nathansports.com/hydration/hydration-packs

aracer
    Free Member

Love my Inov-8 20L pack – though that may not be the most helpful advice as it’s over 10 years old and they’ve changed their range a lot. Just to disagree with everybody on the size thing, that’s certainly not too big for running – not by a long way. I’ve run with bigger packs (as plenty of people competing in KIMM/OMM do), but more to the point you don’t have to fill it. That’s my go to pack for pretty much any running even when I’m just carrying a small amount it’s still comfy.

Disclaimer – I was sponsored by Inov-8 at the time, not only was it free, I got it before they were available to buy. However I’m under no obligations now and given the choice of that, an 18L Salomon pack or 25L OMM pack in my cupboard, it’s always the Inov-8 I’d choose.

petec
    Free Member

i use another decathlon one – 10l, very light, loads of bungee, comes complete with a £10 bladder.

allfankledup

I don’t think Decathlon do them yet. I’ve bought some from Wiggle in an emergency/moment of madness, they were silly expensive for what they are. Unless you really want soft flasks a standard ‘sports cap’ bottle from the supermarket is almost as good (until it splits and empties all down you).

Decathlon do soft bottles every now and again – but difficult to keep them on the shelves – v. popular product

anonymouse
    Free Member

OMM Last Drop is a lovely 10l sack.

surfer
    Free Member

just general duties on long runs, change of clothes etc.

What are “general duties” on a long run? Why do you need to carry a change of clothing (Jacket, hat, gloves maybe if you are on the fells for several hours)

Merak

My longer runs, for various reasons, are point to point. A change for the return is required.
    Hence the packability issue.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Runnists’ is closed to new replies.