• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by rs.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Running = calf strain
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Having just started running (xc and gym only) the only real issue has been my calves that really ached at first. This started to die down, but today I picked up a calf strain halfway around a 12km loop, and had to limp/walk the way home. I was fully warmed up when it happened.

Any tips for avoiding such injuries? Does compression clothing help?

speckledbob
    Free Member

The obvious one is stretching. Loads of good stretches on youtube. Maybe look at doing some drills for strengthening and improving technique. You could always get a deep tissue massage in your calves. Nice. 🙂

imnotverygood

If you over pronate you are likely to suffer from this. Have you got the correct shoes fitted?

IanMunro
    Free Member

In answer to your two questions – Not really, and probably not really.
    Which isn’t really that helpful. The important part to take away is the ‘just started running’ bit, ultimately this probably means a fair few aches / pains and strains as your body gets use to running and you get use to the feedback signals your body gives.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What Ian said.

Classic problem for cyclists getting into running.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Too much too soon.

Sure your heart, lungs and brain may be fine but it will take a while to adapt.

You did too much too soon and your calf compensated by doing too much work when something else fatigued.

Rest, heal and take it slow or you will blow out again.

Been there myself. Had to grind teeth and run 3 miles 3 times a week and then 10% increase each week.

It sucks but you need to adapt or risk injury.

Fuel your body well too and check your flexibility.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Injuries happen. Compression clothing isnt really going to prevent injuries.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Flexibility is fine, and I do stretch regularly.

If you over pronate you are likely to suffer from this. Have you got the correct shoes fitted?

The short answer is: I don’t know. When I was researching the shoes, I read in several places that over or under pronation is not so relevant to trail/xc running, due to the uneven nature of the surfaces.

I suspect it is more to do with too much too soon, as others have mentioned, although I managed over 11km last week with no issues whatsoever. I guess it could be the combination of too much over a short period.

seanoc
    Free Member

That’s running for you. I generally do 30-50 miles a week but picked ups very similiar injury in June on a 10k easy run. Just happens, don’t run on an injury and you’ll be fine.

Jamie
    Free Member

Go barefoot.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers Sean. It feels a bit better today, so I don’t think it’s serious. May have to lay off the running and biking for a few more days though.

mikey74
    Free Member

Go barefoot.

No thanks: I prefer to keep sharp objects and animal faeces away from my feet.

rs
    Free Member

Go barefoot.

trying that pish is what injured my calf, would not recommend it, especially in this situation.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Running = calf strain’ is closed to new replies.