Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Running a temperature, taking paracetamol etc.
  • cinnamon_girl

Started last Wednesday, a cold that has made my body ache all over as well as having swollen glands, pain in ears, behind eyes etc.

Knocking back paracetamol regularly to get temperature down but it’s not doing it so bit nervous of od’ing.

Will I die?

peterfile
    Free Member

sounds like seroconversion?

scotroutes

Assuming you stick to the recommended dosage, what’s the problem?

cinnamon_girl

Oh yeah?

I don’t think so.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Surely 5 days with a temperature and those symptoms is good enough reason to see a doctor?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

There was a thread on here a while back extolling the awesomeness of paracetamols ability to slowly kill you, I won’t be touching the stuff again.

cinnamon_girl

Not sure how long one’s supposed to take them for. Really trying to WTFU.

eskay

Got to get an appointment first, quite a feat nowadays.

scotroutes

Genuine question : how do you know you are running a temperature? I’m not sure I would ever know. I’ve never tried to find out.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

A thermometer might be a good start.

scotroutes

Would the one in the garden shed do? 🙂

I get colds now and then (in fact I’m currently trying to shake one off) but it would never occur to me to check my temperature. Is that pretty normal then?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Would the one in the garden shed do?

You’ll probably need to stick it up your bum to get an accurate reading.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Taking the maximum dose of paracetamol for extended periods of time isn’t good for the liver, but I’m sure a week will be ok. Try adding some ibuprofen into the mix, will also help with the fever. Might be worth trying to get hold of a Dr if your glands are swollen though?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve read that paracetamol doens’t really help fever.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies. I am concerned about paracetamol doing damage so good idea re ibuprofen.

My body temperature tends to be low anyway so that won’t really help. Just sweating lots.

Onwards and upwards. 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

I am concerned about paracetamol doing damage so good idea re ibuprofen.

NSAIDS aren’t very good for your stomach though. To be honest, there isn’t really a long term “healthy” option with either. Avoid alcohol if you’re taking paracetamol, the two have a horrid effect on your liver.

globalti
    Free Member

Ibuprofen is a worse drug for long-term use than paracetamol. I would go and see a doctor.

slackalice
    Free Member

I had very similar symptoms a couple of weeks ago, where for a few days my temp was running at 104/38.8. Very nasty. You have my empathy, if it helps.

Paracetamol and ibruprofen cocktail kinda eased things. I was offered an appointment at the GP’s for this week and figured I’d either be clear of it or dead so didn’t bother. They would probably stick me on antibiotics and or statins and also figured they would do me more harm. Cocodomol or whatever it’s called worked better and is what I ended up slaughtering it with.

Get well soon.

colande
    Free Member

I echo the “get to a doctor”

I had what I initially thought was just a cold with a fever last year, and was doing the same as you taking paracetamol/ibuprofen to bring my fever down , but after 4-5 days of being weirded out and it not getting any better I got an emergency appointment with the doc and was put on antibiotics straight away.

anyway get yourself checked out!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks chaps. I’m toughing this one out. 🙂

Bunnyhop

Antibiotics only work on infections, not on colds, flu etc.

Can you phone the medical helpline (sorry can’t remember the number)?

Drink plenty of warm fluids, try honey and lemon. Hope you feel better soon.
    Bunnyhop x

brassneck

I’ve read that paracetamol doens’t really help fever.

Better tell that to the hospital who pumped my middle son full of it when he was admitted with swine flu. Bloody great syringe of it, every 2 hours.
    Although they also did buprofen in the few gaps, maybe it was that dealing with the fever, and the paracetamol was for something else.

CG, I think you’ve earned a seat at the docs after 3-4 days of OTC remedy.

CountZero

Taking the maximum dose of paracetamol for extended periods of time isn’t good for the liver, but I’m sure a week will be ok. Try adding some ibuprofen into the mix, will also help with the fever.

something I read recently said that some new research has shown that taking Ibuprofen, or even an Ibuprofen/paracetamol mix actually extends the period of suffering a cold, it recommended only taking paracetamol.
    Recearch done in Australia, I believe, but could be wrong on that one.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If I were running at temp for a few extended days I would go and see a doc, but the OP thinks the NHS are a bit rubbish so perhaps go and see an alternative therapist or some thing?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Recearch done in Australia, I believe

Close…
    http://www.nursingtimes.net/nursing-practice/clinical-zones/respiratory/cough-and-cold-patients-advised-not-to-take-ibuprofen/5065029.article

edit: I’ve not read it but the study is here: http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6041

edit 2: Summary:

Advice to use ibuprofen might help short term symptom control for patients with chest infections and children but must be balanced against the possible progression of symptoms during the next month in a minority of patients

slackalice
    Free Member

something I read recently said that some new research has shown that taking Ibuprofen, or even an Ibuprofen/paracetamol mix actually extends the period of suffering a cold

Possibly correct, given that good health is not in the best interests of the pharmaceutical shareholders.

jfletch
    Free Member

My body temperature tends to be low anyway so that won’t really help

Are you a lizzard?

But more seriously, how do you know you have a temperature if you haven’t measured it? Even if you are normally low you can still be high relative to that.

Can you phone the medical helpline (sorry can’t remember the number)?

111 – They will tell you to go see your GP, unless its out of hours in which case they will tell you to go see your GP in the morning.

kimbers

slackalice – Member
    something I read recently said that some new research has shown that taking Ibuprofen, or even an Ibuprofen/paracetamol mix actually extends the period of suffering a cold
    Possibly correct, given that good health is not in the best interests of the pharmaceutical shareholders.

tinfoil hat anyone? as the patent on paracetamol(and ibuprofen?) has long since expired and you can buy a packet for 10p in asda i wouldnt worry about that aspect

still theres always homeopathy 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Running a temperature, taking paracetamol etc.’ is closed to new replies.