Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RunKeeper on iPhone losing GPS signal
  • Stevie-P
    Free Member

Has anyone had any issues with losing GPS signal whilst using this app? Just got back from a ride and it only recorded 11 mins. Now I received a txt roughly at that point and I'm not sure if it was that or heavy tree coverage which made it happen.

It worked a treat on Sunday and the only things I did differently was turn off the wifi and put it in my coat pocket instead of my shorts pocket.

GrahamS

Did you exit the app to read the text?

Stevie-P
    Free Member

No I left the phone in my pocket for the whole ride. Took it out at the end of the ride and swiped to unlock, that's when I noticed that it had only recorded 11 mins.

climbingcragrat
    Free Member

I may be stating the obvious but it will surely depend how good your 3G signal is. In my part of Scotland you wander in and out of 3G coverage and so these types of app don't work.

If in good coverage the app should work fine.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

I thought that GPS was totally independent from 3G, Edge etc., signals as it uses satellites rather than mobile phone masts?

GrahamS

Yep, not sure what he's on about. GPS should be completely independent from mobile coverage (though it does get the initial lock faster when it has mobile coverage to assist the GPS).

Have you tried the RunKeeper forums? http://runkeeper.com/forum/

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Yeah it seems that a lot of people are having the same problem. It seems to be an issue with version 2 and is as yet un-resolved. May have to find another app 🙁

BurnBob
    Free Member

I have sportstracker on Nokia 5800 any never had any issues.

jam-bo

mine can occassionally be hit and miss but I think thats more a function of the GPS chip in the iphone and strength of signal avialable than the particular app. when it happens copilot and motionX have issues holding a signal

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RunKeeper on iPhone losing GPS signal’ is closed to new replies.