Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Run out of central heating gas
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, just 10 days after spending £250 to replace all four bottles of LPG, we seem to have run out completely. Which is handy given we won’t get a delivery until Weds at the earliest.

Thank goodness for a nicely polluting log burner….

(No hot water though.)

xcracer1
    Free Member

Wow……. that is some heating bill!!

ourmaninthenorth

Yep. Short of setting pictures of the Queen alight, bottled LPG has to be the least cost effective way of heating a house.

Not helped by building work, which is what seems to have increased to usage rate considerably (even for this time of year).

wiggles
    Free Member

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Assuming you have electricity? And you’re somewhere in the UK. Economy 7 ??? Electric storage heaters ??

Hope you stay warm

MaryHinge
    Free Member

We have a bulk lpg tank.

Before we had two log burners we would empty a tank in a month in winter at around £450 and we wouldn’t be sitting around in shorts and tee shirts either.

Bulk lpg – the 2nd least cost effective……

trail_rat
    Free Member

Urrrrrgh I remember that time I had bulk lpg.

In a 1 bed bothy style house the size of most bedrooms Still horrific fuel consumption.

No wonder calor give you a free tank and boiler to get you hooked

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

We have an underground LPG tank, only 1 supplier in our area will fill this type of tank, and it’s very expensive 🙁 a log burner helps though.

shinton
    Free Member

Paying 31p a litre for bulk lpg and £75 per month on DD so not that expensive these days compared to mains gas. Which area are you in futon?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

W.sussex

shinton
    Free Member

Try Jon Rose at lpgcompare.co.uk who provides a free service.

Here are the deals he got me back in May but I ended up staying with my current supplier Flogas as my tank was not accepted by the companies he got quotes from. Flogas price matched the deals below.

As requested I have found 2 deals, the first is with a supplier called Calor who is offering 33p fixed for 12 months with a 3.5p cap in year 2 and £250 of FREE gas and tank rental is £94 per year.

Calor Gas is a national supplier and considered by many as the market leaders with over 77 years of experience. They have grown from strength to strength helping domestic users of LPG get reliable service with at a good price. Their Head Office is in Warwick and has strategically placed depots around the country to enable them to supply the whole of the UK.

The second is with Avanti Gas who is offering 28p fixed for 12 months with £150 of FREE gas and with a cap of 3p in any 6 month period during the 2nd year and rental is £110 per year.

Avanti Gas is a national supplier who purchased Shell LPG around 5 years ago, since the acquisition they have grown from strength to strength helping domestic users of LPG get reliable service with at a good price. Their Head Office is in Chesterfield and has strategically placed depots to enable them to service the whole of the UK.

tillydog
    Free Member

Bulk lpg – the 2nd least cost effective……

About 10 years ago we were on bulk LPG with Calor. It ended up being more expensive than 47kg bottles. Now on oil.

OP: Double check for leaks.

ourmaninthenorth

OP: Double check for leaks

Boiler is going to be replaced as part of the house renovations. So we’ll def check then. And we may well move to a bulk tank in due course.

First winter here we went through £2000 of gas in 4 months. Which is why we installed a log burner.

fossy

Wow. I knew LPG was expensive as we have a static caravan, but on average get through 3-4 large bottles a year. But that in a few weeks, OMG.

Modern house, mains gas, about £600 a year.

ourmaninthenorth

Modern house, mains gas, about £600 a year.

Don’t rub it in. Villages on either side of mine have mains gas and fibre broadband. We have neither.

breadcrumb

If you’re doing the boiler may as well change to oil I reckon.

We’re in a decent sized detached Victorian house with some insulation and our oil bill isn’t too bad, estimated £800 P.A.

Two wood burners do help too

flowerpower
    Free Member

Hmm… rural cottage, central Scotland.
    With the cold weather at the start of the month, and holidays at the end… December saw me buying 2 pallets of wood pellets @ £256 each. Admittedly they will keep me going into January… but that’s £512 on top of stove wood, just to keep the place habitable 🙄
    Hopefully moving down into the village (with mains gas) in the near future.

matthewmountain
    Free Member

[December saw me buying 2 pallets of wood pellets @ £256 each. Admittedly they will keep me going into January… but that’s £512 on top of stove wood, just to keep the place habitable

Is that biomass? Thought that was meant to be one of the cheapest cost per kWh for heating?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Run out of central heating gas’ is closed to new replies.