• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Run coming up – training plan?
  • nedrapier

Tomorrow evening. 2.3 miles round some bridges in London.

Can’t remember the last time I did any running that wasn’t related to the departure time of some public transport.

I don’t want to over-train, or peak too soon. I guess I want to be tapering by lunchtime tomorrow? So far I the schedule I have:

1) Look for my running shoes. This should involve some cross training and stretching as I think they’re at the bottom of the wardrobe.

Any other suggestions? I heard Pina Colada is good.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Carb loading?

nedrapier

Yes! already on that plan! Couple of pints with a sandwich and chips at lunch and a few chocolate hob nobs this afternoon.

Great to know I’m on the right track. I think there’s some icecream in the freezer at home. Who am I kidding. I know there’s some icecream in the freezer at home.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Ironing your lucky pants? Practising your race face? Doing something meaningful with a foam roller? Updating your FB status to ‘tapering’? You don’t have time to be posting here, you have some serious race prep to do!

McHamish
    Free Member

Drink loads of water just before so you’re bursting for a wee…you’ll sprint round quickly just so you can get to a toilet.

toby1

Remember to shave your legs 😉

willard

Legs is it? Damn. After all these years of shaving my back before a run…

stever
    Free Member

Are you ok for gels?

nedrapier

Don’t know. I’ve got 5 of the caffeine ones, one per half mile. And a camelbak. Not sure whether to go for plain water or put some powder in. Any thoughts?

I’ve never run a 2.3 before (or a 3.7k! sounds better in kilometres, doesn’t it? 🙂 ) and I don’t want to bonk in the last 0.3

stever
    Free Member

You might think about just using a race belt to save weight and taping the gels to that. Take a flyer on the water? I know a lot of people like their own mix, but I’m usually ok with whatever’s at the drink station.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to liberally coat your nipples with Vaseline.

nedrapier

Got nipple covers. Ta.

How many feed stations do you think there’ll be? What’s normal for a 3.7?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You sure those trainers you are looking for have the right heel drop for an ascent of Col de blackfriars

molgrips
    Free Member

Get some new trainers, size 27.5. Makes the pavements come alive it does.

nedrapier

So I was busy doing my tapering just now when someone showed me the route.

OMG. They never told me it was a blimmin’ assault course! 👿

Yak

that’s not a run – that parkour.

You’ll need baggy trousers, sticky trainers, some swagger and an eye for the camera. And redbull. Lots of it, start now… 🙂

nedrapier

Well, that wasn’t very pleasant. Times aren’t in, but however slow I was, I will have set a PB. Go me.

Apart from the general unpleasantness of running as fast as you can for 2.3 miles: Cramp in my left calf, also cramp in a couple of little muscles either end of one of my left ribs, near the spine and near my sternum, which got more and more painful on th last few hundred yards, and meant I could only take half or a third of a breath. Had to pull up for a bit then jog, gasping over the line. :-/

mogrim

Are the Strava results in yet?

nedrapier

Results are in. 15:35. Which I’m giving myself a solid “Quite good, considering…” for. Behind all of the serious runners, but ahead of most of the rest of the occasional runners. Well done me. My left calf still hurts.

More excuses that I’ve thought of in addition to those above include:

Having the first leg in the relay, and starting at the back, so I had to dawdle for a bit at the beginning.
    Shorts: non-running specific and too long – frictional energy losses on legs plus aero drag.
    Trainers: old, dirty and out of fashion. minimal only in their newness.

That’s all I can come up with. Anything I might have forgotten?

mogrim

That’s all I can come up with. Anything I might have forgotten?

The weather, surely? Backmarkers you had to get past? Perhaps you’re a slow-twitch-sprinter type and the course wasn’t ideal?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

You were tapering for your A race

pondo

In all fairness, it does rather sound like you over-trained. Being keen is a wonderful thing and all, but you must allow adequate recovery time.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Run coming up – training plan?’ is closed to new replies.