Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rubber Queen 2.2 non UST – run tubeless ?
  • simonm
    Free Member

I run RQ 2.2 non UST black chili’s on Stans crest rims with sealant to make them tubeless.
    Had them on the bike for 4/5 months, topped up the gunk a few times but lately the rear is starting to go flat more and more frequently. Bumped into another rider tonight with similar issues. Not sure if to give up on running them tubeless, anyone else have issues with them ?

Cheers.

Northwind

Mine took quite a while to seal… They foamed comically for ages too. My Baron was pretty similiar and ended up needing a little extra work- wee smear of rubber cement over the backs of a couple of persistant holes. But all went up in the end.

cookeaa

A couple of thoughts, not necessarily gospel:

I suppose over time the carcass could well be becoming more and more porous over time as you repeatedly work it each ride?

And when you change sealant do you just remove any loose lumps rolling about and/or remaining liquid or do you totally clear out the “skin” you often get adhering to areas of the inside tire walls? if its the latter you may well be unsealing all the little holes previous doses of sealant have plugged up too… perhaps?

simonm
    Free Member

No, I just stuff more juice in.

Thats what I’m thinking with the walls. I can start to see the white strings in the walls, so I’m thinking its becoming harder to seal. The tread on the other hand looks very good. Its a shame to go through a £45 tyre (in tubeless terms) so quickly before the tread is anyway near worn is a bit pointless.

talking to Phil (other guy with RQ tonight) he was suggesting the UST Version sidewalls being thicker don’t lead to as grippy tyre as the non UST.

Its a shame. As these tyres are amazing.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Ey up Simon,
    The reason I was adding air when you met me was ’cause I just burped the tyre a bit jumping to flat off that rock drop/slab. Apart from that they have held air pretty well. They refused in stay up with my first lot of sealant but I used fresh Stans and they have been up for a week. The sidewalls are very porous though – one was great, the other had loads of pinholes, took ages to seal but seem good now.

mboy
    Free Member

Mine took quite a while to seal… They foamed comically for ages too.

Much as I love the Rubber Queens, I shalln’t be buying another non UST one. Mine must’ve had over a pint of sealant in one tyre by now, just to try to get it to stay up, it still goes down over a couple of days in the shed. The comical foaming is exactly that, I had some green coloured sealant left over I used first, and my tyre looked like it was emitting toxic waste every time I pulled the bike out of the shed!

Definitely the most porous tyre I’ve ever used, and if Conti were to release a “tubeless ready” tyre that’s almost as light as the non tubeless but has significantly less porous carcass, without the UST weight penalty, they will sell them by the truckload!

Northwind

If Mr Conti is reading this- tubeless ready Barons please!

simonm
    Free Member

Cheers Phil.

I really love these tyres…and I love tubeless… argh why is it you can’t ever get quite what you want with MTB stuff.

neninja
    Free Member

My non-UST set took a few months to settle down. Tended to go down overnight but it was consistent. They’d be fine for weeks and would then start doing it.

18 months on the one I have on the front stays up with no problems.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rubber Queen 2.2 non UST – run tubeless ?’ is closed to new replies.