• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by wl.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • RS Revelation RLT ti – damping advice
  • wl
    Free Member

I’ve got the 2011 (I think) 150mm Black Box version of this fork. I tried adjusting the speed of the damping yesterday with the red allen nut on the bottom of the fork leg – illustration on the leg shows tortoise to hare. I was expecting clicks, but the nut just seemed to loosen off from a fully tight position – is this right? What’s the deal for altering the high and low speed damping? Thanks v much for any advice and tips.

BadlyWiredDog

It sounds like the adjuster knob is missing – there’s should be a protruding knob that you can turn by hand to change the rebound damping and locates in the nut you’re talking about which should have a hole in the middle? They sometimes fall off as they’re just a push fit on the nut/into the bottom of the rebound damper shaft.

If that’s what’s happened, you can still adjust the low-speed rebound using a 2.5mm – I think – allen key through the hole in the middle of the nut or you can source a new adjuster knob. The high speed rebound is non adjustable.

BadlyWiredDog

Should be something like this – sounds like you’re missing the knob with the allen key type shaft protruding from it?

wl
    Free Member

BWD – that’s great, I think you’re right. What a crazy place to use a push-fit part – mine probably disappeared within a ride or two. So is the high-speed non-adjustable even with the adjuster knob in place? It’s just the low-speed I can tweak, and I need a 2.5mm allen? Not much point in me replacing the adjuster, a new one won’t last 2 minutes either. Thanks for your help.

Actually – and this might be a daft question – that adjuster is for compression damping isn’t it? Or is it to control the rebound speed?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s a low-speed rebound adjuster and the 2.5mm size is a guess. I might be wrong, but it’s a small size allen key like the one that’s an integral part of the missing adjuster. To be fair to RS they don’t fall out that easily, there’s an o-ring on the outside of the bolt which adds a bit of friction, but it can happen.

You can tweak the low speed rebound using that knob, but the high speed is fixed. The RS Dual Compression ones, which you should have on a Rev Ti are pretty good tbf, the earlier ones tended to choke up on repeated high speed impacts.

The compression damping adjuster is up the top of the RH fork leg btw, but the whole MoCo / Floodgate thing works more like an adjustable platform-ish lock-out rather than working like a simple damping adjuster. The later RCT3 version gives low speed compression adjustment, but the high speed is still fixed I think.

I think that’s about right. Tbh, if the fork feels a bit meh, I’d look at giving it a quick lower leg and damper oil service first, can make quite a difference.

wl
    Free Member

BWD – thanks gain, very helpful. The fork is generally great but yesterday I did notice it seemed to possibly ‘choke’ a bit on a fast, not-particularly-steep descent with very constant and regular rocky impacts. Felt as though the mid-stroke wasn’t performing quite as well as usual. Think I might send it off for a service, probably give Loco a try as I’m a bit of a technical dunce and lack the kit/workspace. To be fair I’ve probably done around 500 hours’ riding and only had one previous lower leg service at my LBS. Very bad form, I know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘RS Revelation RLT ti – damping advice’ is closed to new replies.