Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • RS Pike noise ,rattle help needed
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I have a set of RS pikes which when brought new were reduced from 150 -140mm of travel. So they have had a new air shaft fitted( back ground info)and
    they have had no more than 30 hrs of use since new. They have developed what can best be described as a tinging noise when the front wheel is drop on the ground, i.e. front end lifted by a few inches and dropped, I noticed this when removing the bike from a work stand.
    So I called into my LBS to see if they could confirm what I was hearing and maybe shed some light on it.So after a brief chat the conclusion was that I should remove the lowers and check the cir-clip was installed correctly on the new air shaft.
    I have just taken lowers off and all is fine with the air shaft however the rebound circuit side has 2-3mm of lateral movement at the foot of the stanchion. So the question is.
    Is it normal to have this lateral play or could there be something loose on that side on the fork internal causing the noise?

I probably would have missed this how ever I’m off to wales at the weekend and had serviced the bike and now don’t want to do any more possible damage to the fork by riding it at the weekend.

Superficial
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not coming from the brake? That’s where most ‘tinging’ comes from. I’m surprised the bike shop suggested that though, rather than taking a look themselves.

And the rebound rod wobble is completely normal.

It wouldn’t bother me to ride them this weekend. If there is some damage (which sounds unlikely to me) then it’ll all be warranty’d. As long as the chassis is intact it’s all good.

jimr80
    Free Member

With the brakes removed and the fork off the bike with just the wheel in they make the same noise.
    I think my LBS suggested it that way as I’m happy to do the lower service plus the new air shaft was fitted by myself without any issues.

jimr80
    Free Member

I have taken two videos one with the Pikes which i think rattle and another from the pikes on my hard tail which are quiet apart from cables knocking. Both have had their front brake zip tied on so no brake rattle
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmeDV1JP7w[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81-e73tMfo[/video]

Anyone with an opinion care to shed so light.

crispy1980
    Free Member

Is it possible to try swapping wheels/ axles over to eliminate this possibility? Had a similar noise for ages with my last pikes and turned out to be slight play on the axle

jimr80
    Free Member

I have had the wheel out and the fork off the bike and the same noise exists.

rickon
    Free Member

That’s normal. Stop worrying.

It’s just a bit of play before the negative valve engages.

I’ve had 3 sets of Pikes do the same, and one set that didn’t.

If you want it to go away, drop some air out of them and up the rebound damping.

Also, pop the bike upside down and let some oil into the foam rings, as the forks do rattle a bit against the bushings.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Is the white pike a dual position fork?

rickon
    Free Member

I get it on a DPA Pike, and on a Solo Air Pike too. My Boost one doesn’t do it.

They all ride fine, so I’m really not bothered.

jimr80
    Free Member

The white set are solo air.

blacknose
    Free Member

I had a very similar problem with a set that turned out to have been miss-assembled at the factory, and were warranty replaced by Sram.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike noise ,rattle help needed’ is closed to new replies.