Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rory Gallagher
  • hammerite
    Free Member

A mate has lent me a live album (from 1978 I think), really good. Anyone else like his stuff?

Never heard of him until a couple of weeks ago. Will probably get his album tracks 5 discs for £12 (yes I still like to buy discs).

stratobiker
    Free Member

Never heard of him until a couple of weeks ago.

Are you really young? 😉

hammerite
    Free Member

No not really young. I was born the year of the live album I’ve been lent.

My parents used to listen to Motown, my older brother rap and electro and my sis pop and boy band crap. So never exposed to stuff like this when I was younger.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I can’t stand Manc Brit-pop.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

*shows age*

Didn’t he live up a tree in Altrincham?

*wanders off looking for pipe and slippers*

jamj1974

I can’t stand Manc Brit-pop.

Well no-ones perfect! 🙂

Brit Pop is just a handy phrase for lazy journalists. Good late 80’s – early 90’s guitar based British ‘indie’ can stand shoulder to shoulder with the best of any other combination of genre, era and location IMHO.

DavidB
    Free Member

He is one of the greats! I have several of his live albums. Easily up there with Johnny Cash but a better guitar player

Inbred456
    Free Member

Jimi Hendrix was once asked what is it like to be the best guitarist in the world? He said “I don’t know you’ll have to ask Rory Gallagher!”

Underhill
    Free Member

Aye, been listening to a lot of his early solo stuff lately (Deuce on right now).

Was going to post on the “Gigs you missed” thread that he’s someone I really regret never seeing live. Could hhave had plenty of opportunities when I was late teens, early 20’s but I was too busy being into crap like GnR to realize there was a genuine great playing in the city on a regular basis.

On the upside, mates band plays a mean version of Bad Penny.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Listen to “Live in Europe” and be amazed young’un

novaswift
    Free Member

Seen him a few times in years gone by what a talent sadly taken by the demon drink

jamj1974

Truly one of the best guitarists from these isles.

novaswift
    Free Member

And on sky arts tonight !

scousebri
    Free Member

a program about his life was on tv last summer, some interviews before he died. Ended up playing in pubs around Ireland in the end. Talent wasted through drink and drugs.

csb

Walk on Hot Coals – what a stonker of a geetar track that is.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

If you like Rory Gallagher check out Joe Bonamassa.

Here he is playing Rory’s strat.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7r8uxe_0rQ[/video]

CountZero

I saw Rory playing by accident. I had a ticket to see Pink Floyd playing at the Hippodrome in Bristol, on the Wish You Were Here tour in ’74, and Rory was playing the Colston Hall the same evening. My G/F had a ticket for his gig, and was going with a bunch of her 6th Form mates on a coach, so I went down with her, and arranged to meet outside afterwards.
    I went around to the Colston after my gig, and there was nobody about, so I went in. Wandered up stairs, still nobody about, but I could hear a band, so I stuck my head through the curtains over the doorway, and there was Rory in full flight. I stood just inside the doorway for half-an-hour while he did his encores, utterly brilliant. 😀

caspian
    Free Member

My parents loved his music so much they named me after him!

I think they preferred Donovan’s music. But ‘Donovan O’Sullivan’ was too much of a mouthful

Fantombiker

Came across his music via ‘Shadow play’ on a compilation. ‘Million miles’ is my favorite track

What I love about his solos that they are not just a blizzard of fast notes but contain a melody in themselves.

JasonDS

Bad Penny is my favourite.

tiggs121
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOwDDBhT80[/video]

This ain’t Manc Brit Pop!

flap_jack
    Free Member

I got a cassette somewhere of him on Radio 1’s ‘In concert’ from about 1976. Awesome.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

This ain’t Manc Brit Pop!

Yeah – what a weird comment. Like saying “I don’t like television adverts” in a discussion about art galleries.

cooie

He played at our local theatre in Swanage in October ’92 😯

Was brilliant, but absolutely ear splitting! I think they must have used the same volume as a big concert hall 😕

His later albums are good too, check out Defender.

sputnik
    Free Member

Discovered him a couple of years ago , think he is fantastic.
    If he is ‘new’ to you then you should also try Robin Trower . “Bridge of sighs ” is an epic album to start with.

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah – what a weird comment. Like saying “I don’t like television adverts” in a discussion about art galleries.

I think it was an attempt at humour: Deliberately mixing up Rory Gallagher with Noel or Liam.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rory Gallagher’ is closed to new replies.