Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rollers (again)
  • Haze

Any recommendations?

I use the turbo for intervals etc. but fancy some to chuck in the car to hop on and off for pre-race warm ups rather than faffing around with QR’s.

Assume resistance is not a biggie so maybe something like the Antares?

molgrips
    Free Member

I found that rollers do indeed wear down your tyres very quickly. So I’d chuck in some spare wheels too with trainer tyres on.

Haze

Didn’t think of that, cheers…

carlphillips
    Free Member

ive got the sportscrafter resistance ones, very good indeed, weirdly i get no abnormal tyre wear at all..

simondbarnes

I have Elite Arion Parabolic rollers. Not noticed excessive tyre wear, maybe I don’t use them enough 🙂

Haze

Sportscrafter are new to me, though probably a little more than I wanted to spend if I’m honest.

Elite parabolic are in the mix…

stevious

I’ve got the Antares and can just about get to threshhold power if I spin really really fast.

If you’re a power monster you might want to get some with resistance, but they’re great for form drills and cadence drills regardless.

eskay

molgrips – Member

I found that rollers do indeed wear down your tyres very quickly. So I’d chuck in some spare wheels too with trainer tyres on.

I have read this before on here and I have never experienced the same. Your tyres should be pumped up (really) hard when riding the rollers, what sort of pressure were you riding?

My track bike has had the same tyres on for over two years and has been ridden for hours on the rollers and they still look pretty good.

You can do a really good warm-up on the rollers, if you learn to spin then you can get up to Z4/5 easily.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve got the Cyclops ones with resistance. Very similar to the Sportscrafter ones by the looks of it.

Not had any issues with tyre wear and the resistance unit makes it possible to ride up to threshold and beyond rather than just easy spinning. So long as you can keep the power up whilst pedalling smoothly.

I use them as you describe – for taking to races but also for easy recovery/aerobic sessions.

Haze

Good stuff, may consider saving a bit more and increasing the budget for resistance. Seems there’s a few more options in the 150-200 bracket.

Considered the Cyclops before but ruled out on cost so maybe worth a reconsider. (edit: resistance unit is an add on?)

Anyone tried the Kinetic ones?

john_l
    Free Member

It always surprises me when people say that they struggle to get to threshold on rollers. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but I find them great for threshold work. Maybe they’re just knackered & have massive resistance.

john_l
    Free Member

double post

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t get Tacx. The bearings don’t seat properly, because the seats are too close together. So they squirm around in the plastic drums making grinding nosies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rollers (again)’ is closed to new replies.