Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road UST
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

After my thread earlier (http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/355-rims-on-a-road-bike) I spoke to JRA who confirmed that it's the tyre (and not the rim) that matters on ust for road bikes. Apparently std tyres do not hold high pressure tubeless and the rims seal more easily – can anyone confirm this?

Is there a busy road forum where someone will know?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yep, you need tubeless tyres really. Normal road tyres are both too porous and more importantly the beads aren't strong enough to deal with tubeless. At high pressures this can cause problems.

For road tubeless tyres, the options are limited. Hutchinson do the Fusion2, Atom, and a tougher version called the….Intensive?

As for rims, I've fitted Fusion2s to Open Pros using Stans tape and 44mm road valve and they went up and stayed up, no problem. Rims without spoke holes obviously don't need the tape (eg, Ksyrium, latest Dura Ace etc.) and rims without eyelets tend to seal better with the tape than ones with eyelets, such as the OPs.

I've written some stuff here which may help

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12644831&highlight=fusion2

I've since found some much cheaper tape which would do the same job as the expensive Stans tape, so I'll convert my other wheels when I have some time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers – very informative. I'm surprised how little press this is getting. I'm going to have a few more beers and then see if a drunk purchase happens.

I still don't get how a non ust tyre bead is strong enough with a tube but not without.

I've used B&Q tape and duct tape OK – at mtb pressures.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the tube clearly provides resistance, which holds the tyre on the rim bead.

I did experiment with running a normal tyre as tubeless – a 28mm Conti GP4Seasons – and it seated well, but wouldn't hold air well, even with sealant. The sidewalls were just too porous.

As for tape, I used some of this stuff recently on my mtb rims (DT E540) and it worked a treat. Tough and sealed well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-3M-Scotch-25mm-x-50m-Crossweave-Reinforced-Tape-8959_W0QQitemZ120422896983QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Packaging_Materials?hash=item1c09c39557&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and you can get it in 19mm too, so would be ideal for sealing road rims. I'll give it a try on my next tubeless adventure…

cookeaa

Hmm, I like the idea of tubeless on my Road bike, I’m a Convert for MTBs

Do you reckon the “Ghetto” method (using sliced up 20” tubes) would work for road tyres? Especially at ~100psi or is that just a silly, silly idea?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well JRA/Notubes are telling me you cannot use std tyres, and that most rims will work once sealed.

adt
    Free Member

I used them last winter on my training bike and was impressed with them ,although they cut up quikly

cookeaa

No I was going to track down some Pukka Tubeless road tyres.

What I meant was, I generally will not buy Stan’s overpriced strips of rubber for the simple reason that chopping up a BMX tube is just as easy and cheaper, and so far has worked just as well for me, however if there is a compelling reason that won’t work and I have to buy Stan’s stuff then so be it.

Although I’m a little unclear, can you not use regular tyres because they are too thin and porous or because the bead won’t seal properly or both? Surely if they are just too porous then a bit of “pre-installation treatment” (basically painting the inside of the tyre carcass with latex) could help improve their air tightness….

Are the UST specific road tyres anymore cut resistant than a good Kevlar non UST equivalent?
    The majority of my punctures on the road have been due to cuts rather than pinches, are they any more resistant?

My MTB preference is for Specialized’s “2Bliss” tyres are speccy doing these for road bikes yet?

Shred
    Free Member

You don't need the rubber strip for road rims, even if it has the spoke holes. Just strong rim tape to seal everything up and carry on.

As for tires, the only tubeless ready ones are the Hutchinson ones.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Although I’m a little unclear, can you not use regular tyres because they are too thin and porous or because the bead won’t seal properly or both?

both those reasons (I am told)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have experimented with ghetto on the road wheel, and it worked fine.

The rim was a wide-ish one though – Mavic A319 – and the tyre was the 28mm GP4Season I mentioned above, so quite big. Whether it'd be the same with a skinny 23mm one I don't know.

The tape method is better though I think, as it's lighter. The only stumbling block is the 21mm Stans tape is £9 a roll which is a p!sstake Stan!. Hence the desire to find a cheaper alternative. I've not actaully tried it yet but I suspect the 19mm 3M tape I suggested earlier will be the best option.

As for the porous thing, the GP4Seasons just wouldn't hold air. They leaked through the sidewalls basically. If you could stop this then you'd be onto something. I sloshed loads of sealant around a number of times but they still always went soft overnight (?). The tyre seated okay on the rim though, no problem, although I didn't actually ride them.

So, to conclude;

– I think tape is the way forward to seal the rim (I've used Stans, but the 3M could well be just as good and much cheaper)

– Use tubeless tyres. Normal ones are problematic and the Fusion2s definitely work well

The only downside to the whole thing I can see is the cost of the Hutchinson tubeless tyres, at £36 a go. If they were under £30 it'd be a no-brainer, as our funny cousins would say.

cookeaa

Think I’ll give it a whirl then, I’ll be doing it with an FSA RD400 wheelset (Front wheel is due for a change though)…

I’ll have to find a new set of tyres, it’s my commuter and I don’t fancy coming back to the bike at the end of the day to find the tyres low before a ride home, I think the Fusion2 is looking the most widely available, and I’ll give that Scotchlite tape you linked a try too…

Will post results… Ta

Saccades
    Free Member

bookmark.

njee20
    Free Member

A friend of mine did it on a DT RR1.1 rim with some insulating type, a Stan's valve and some stock 23c GP4000s, they lost a little bit of air overnight, but nowt major, and he's not had any problems with tyres falling off!

Sounds like he may have been lucky!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am curious to try a DIT-er – espcially when I have plenty road tyres kicking around.

Manufacturers will be paranoid about these issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road UST’ is closed to new replies.