Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road tubeless – a bit confused
  • antigee

bought some Kinesis CX disk wheels and the spec sheet says rims are “tubeless ready” – what does that mean? I know they are not suitably taped

when i read the stans notube instructions on their web site which are very explicit doesn’t seem to mention fitting rim strips – but the standard kit includes rim strips (as well as spoke tape)? – so if a rim is “tubeless ready” does that mean doesn’t need rimstrips?

PS will be buying tubeless specific tyres

bluebird
    Free Member

The rims usually need taping with tubeless tape to make the air tight. You don’t need a conventional rim strip.

njee20
    Free Member

bought some Kinesis CX disk wheels and the spec sheet says rims are “tubeless ready”

It’s marketing these days. Any rim is “tubeless ready”, it means it’s not UST, but you can convert it if you so want. As you can any rim if you really want to.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I think WTB or someone claims ‘tubeless ready’ on the basis that the bead is better shaped to hold a tubeless tyre, or something like that.

But as njee20 says, my old Mavic XC717s were technically ‘tubeless ready’ 🙄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s marketing these days. Any rim is “tubeless ready”, it means it’s not UST, but you can convert it if you so want. As you can any rim if you really want to.

I think to call it tubeless ready they have to have something, either licence the bead socket from Stans or engineer a similar way of supporting the bead on the rim.

Cannondale had to recall all their Slates because the rims were advertised as ‘tubeless ready’ when they were just taped up normal rims.

UST – the standard, no tape, no sealent needed.

‘Tubeless ready’ – everything is the same as UST at the bead and bead seat, but the rims are drilled as normal and the tyre itself isn’t airtight, so needs tape and sealent.

antigee

cheers – think i sort of get it,

I know the spoke holes need tape (and sealant)as obviously not tubeless ready – looked again at the stan’s kit and realised it is specific to their ZTR and similar rims – but then I find this:

so need rim tape (stan’s now call this “spoke tape”) + sealant

and valves or belt and braces is also buy the CX rim strip which hopefully fits “tubeless ready rims” well and adds something rather than complicates it

uwe-r
    Free Member

My understanding was that a tubeless rim has a square bead shape compared to a standard rim bead shape being round. Tubeless tyres are built with a square shaped bead to fit.

However – it all works to a greater or lesser extent. Electrical tape does the job of sealing almost any rim!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road tubeless – a bit confused’ is closed to new replies.