Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road training help
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

I have decided to help my MTBing and for general fitness to give over a 2.5-3hr chunk of riding time (once per week not 3 x 1hr sessiosn) to road riding/training. That is as far as i have got!!

To maximise this i need a bit of a plan – To start with i will be riding from south west Chesterfield if anyone has a route idea.

Thinking a 20 minute or so warm up, some hill climing, some sprints, cool down.

shite idea?

oldgit
    Free Member

Without going into any rigid structure, I’d say just go and ride with gusto, don’t cheat yourself when no ones looking and you’ll see a difference.
    All you need really for fitness.

LeeW

One of the best things I learnt from road riding which I’ve transfered to MTB is an effective spinning technique. Just trying to keep the cadence around 80 to 90 rpm and focusing on spinning circles. It’s made a massive difference to my climbing.

You cold try and carry out some intervals, which I find are a little easier to carry out on a road bike rather than on an MTB trail.

MrSmith
    Free Member

shite idea?

yes. long steady miles while not going into the red. save the reps/sprints for when you have less time and in the spring when it warms up a bit.

mrmo
    Free Member

i would say just get used to riding for a few hours, mtb rides are far more stop start than road and it does take it little adjustment to get used to just turning the cranks for a couple of hours.

Once your used to riding start playing games, be it intervals, sprinting for signs, beasting the hardest climbs you can find, etc.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I tend to find the faster I get on the road bike the slower I get on the MTB (well, what I mean is that I lose the absolute ultra grunt you need to get over a big step or similar).
    Hope it doesn’t affect you similarly…

joeegg
    Free Member

Any road cycling clubs nearby ?
    It’ll encourage you to get out and they’ll know plenty of different routes.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

joeegg not a chance mate!! This is as an extra not instead of MTB and not sure any will ride 3-6pm on a thursday 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll get way more out of 2 shorter sessions as you you’ll be able to do hill reps, intervals etc.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just a petty thing, or maybe not. Clothing….you might be freezing on the road in the stuff that keeps you warm off road. You might want to nut that out.

LeeW

Oldgit +1. I was suprised with the difference.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Also interested in any training ideas, collect my first road bike in literally decades tomorrow and would welcome any suggestions for training guides/books/websites.
    May join a club in due course but would like to regain some roadcraft, let alone fitness, before making a total punnet of myself…..

rob-jackson
    Free Member

here is the course that i will be tackling in the summer – shitting it!

http://www.ironmanuk.com/uk-ironman-703/event-information/course/bike-course

smell_it
    Free Member

I’d echo oldgits first comment, we get a lot of club riders trying to fit very technical training regimes into narrow time slots and not going it that well. Ride your local loop with ball’s and enjoy it, you will soon learn your strengths and weaknesses, and start to tailor your loop accordingly. Good luck with your event, have a blast.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

You’ll get way more out of 2 shorter sessions as you you’ll be able to do hill reps, intervals etc.

+1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road training help’ is closed to new replies.