Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Road cycling – central France (Cahors, Limoges, Massif Central)
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

We’re looking for a base for a week of road cycling and hiking in September. Thinking of somewhere in the centre of France, maybe around Cahors, or Limoges, or the Massif Central.

Has anyone cycled round that area? Any suggestions for a good base for road cycling and hiking (I like hills!). Also, what is the weather like in that area – some internet info suggests that it’s very wet?

Any other suggestions welcome – we’re looking for a location somewhere between the Pyrenees and Calais?

Thanks in advance 🙂

aP
    Free Member

We came back via the Corniche de Cevennes and the Gorge du Tarn last June after Tuscany Trail – I reckon you could make some great routes in and around that area.
    There’s also a potential for a 2-3/4 day out and back ride starting from somewhere near Millau, heading east to Ales then back via CdeC and GduT.

dave661350

You could pretty much put a pin in a map of central France and find great cycling and walking. I’d perhaps look at Mont Dore. http://www.sancy.com/commune/mont-dore
    Great walking and likely to be some chairs open if you fancy an express way to the tops.
    Weatherwise, yes, it may rain, but more likely to be better weather than the UK. We had cool evenings and mid 20s, in late October last year between Limoges and Mont Dore…for the umpteenth year on the trot.

IHN

The Ardeche – beautiful, loads of cycling (google “l’Ardechois”) loads of walking.

Maybe a bit further South than you wanted, but it’s easy to get to; only an hour from the Autoroute, doable from Calais in a (longish) day’s drive.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks, will add these to the list. Any recommendations for a specific base for the above areas? Looking to do “circular day rides” (up to about 80-100 miles), plus nearby day hikes in the hills.

smokey_jo

We have a place in Pleaux in the Cantal, very rural, very quiet, very little traffic.

The Puy Mary is very popular with walker’s and cyclists as it features on the Tour occasionally, Salers is a pretty town quite close to this.

Argentat is quite pretty on the Dordogne. Most of the riding from here is in and out of river valleys.

September is a great time for cycling, it’s mostly dry, 20ish celsius. Can be difficult to find places open of the beaten track though so route planning is required.

100 mile days in the Cantal will involve a lot of elevation. Most of my 50 mile loops exceed 5000ft quite easily.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve done a few family holidays around Cahor and the Lot river, certainly wasn’t wet ! Rural and beautiful. A few tourist traps (e.g. Rocamadour) but they are easy to avoid / dip in or out of and IME whole area is less touristy than the main part of the Dordogne. Certainly lots of hills available although not at the level of Massif Central.

TiRed

Hillier than you might think. Deserted roads, I think it is an excellent place to cycle. Not particularly expensive, nor touristy. We rented a farmhouse near La Souterraine.

dazh

Have a look around Bourganeuf. I spent a week there visiting relatives this summer. The whole place is littered with beautiful smooth back roads with not a car in site. The geography and landscape is very similar to forestry commission type places in the UK. I rode about 200 miles over 4 days and only saw a few dozen cars.

IHN

When we were in the Ardeches we spent a week in Lamastre; proper nice little French town.

philjunior
    Free Member

I stayed fairly near Cahors (Salles-Courbatiès) when on honeymoon, and I’ve visited the area before.

Plenty of trails to walk and roads to ride in the area. I’d like to go back with the road bike at some point.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks folks – lots of options to consider … wish I could go for a month 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

this thread posted a while ago by your’s truly may be of interest
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/route-guideride-report-france-tarn-cevennes-big-post-pic-heavy

(PS Cahors is v nice town)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Road cycling – central France (Cahors, Limoges, Massif Central)’ is closed to new replies.