• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by teef.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Road Biking, what do I need?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ll be getting a road bike in the next couple of days, what gear do I need that’s not in my MTB kit?

Pedals? Shoes?

IHN

Get the same pedals as you have on your MTB.

Job done.

IHN

Oh, and some spare inner tubes of the right size.

jam-bo

a cheery demeanor.

simondbarnes

Depends on what you already have.

nemesis
    Free Member

As above, inner tubes and maybe water bottles/cages if you’re a camelbak only mtber (though of course you can use it on road too if you really want but IMO it’s much nicer without).

Shoes – it’s nice to have road ones and associated pedals (stiffer, more stable platform IMO) but not critical and I do plenty of road riding with non-road shoes/pedals though my best road bike has road shoes/pedals.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Helmet without a peak. Decent shorts.

soobalias
    Free Member

helmet without peak – dont underestimate how much you can hurt your neck/shoulders trying to look up past a peak on a road bike.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve got loads of MTB kit. Depending on which bike I choose I may need pedals. Do I need different clothes? Helmet? Another option is to binthe whole idea off, buy the triban I’ve been offered cheap and just use that when I do Road events and rides.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strava. A more intolerant attitude 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Most of the clothes will be usable, depending on what sort of road riding and MTB riding you do.

FOr example, DH kit isn’t really suitable for TTing/road racing. But baggy XC/trail bimble lite kit will be fine for most road riding. Anything XC race oriented will be pretty much road kit anyway.

nemesis
    Free Member

For most people on road bikes these days, their front end position is so high that a peak is a non issue 😉

You don’t need different kit though riding on the road in baggies is IMO no fun.

buckster
    Free Member

a hatred and loathing of ‘the headwind home’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Decent Bib Shorts, if only to avoid the bit of sunburn on the lower back

whisky711
    Free Member

A mini pump you can fit on the bike and forget about until you need it.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-profile-xl-alloy-mini-hand-bike-pump-id_8248184.html

A saddle bag filled with inner tube, chain tool, emergency energy gel, emergency tenner, zip ties, etc.

Hi vis cycling top.

Anti friction bum cream.

lunge

Not much to begin with.
    To just try it you can use your MTB gear and just take the peak off your helmet if you can. I you can drop the baggies and just use Lycra shorts you’ll find that helpful to the experience too. Use whatever pedals and shoes you have, road shoes are the right tool for the job but for trying things out, MTB pedals, be they flat or SPD, will be fine.

If you decide you like it, then roadie gear is better for road work, Lycra work, road shoes/pedals work. Then before you know it, you have a wardrobe full of roadie gear.

globalti
    Free Member

Baggy clothing will not be suitable for road riding; you go much faster and flapping clothes will drive you bonkers.

A small saddle pack can carry a spare tube, two tyre levers, multi tool, CO2 inflator and a couple of cylinders. Scott make good ones. A bottle cage and a computer so you can check distances and average speeds.

Carry a cheap old topup phone, energy bar, cash and a compact waterproof in your jersey pockets. If you’ve got the cash, the Castelli Sottile jacket is a favourite for good reason; it works and is slightly stretchy meaning it fits snugly and doesn’t flap.

Don’t over-inflate your tyres, modern tyres 23mm or 25mm wide are designed for comfort and a pressure of 90 to 95 lbs suits the average rider. Decathlon’s track pump is excellent value and has a skinny barrel for high pressures.

avdave2

To find a local club

While I do all my off road riding on my own I much prefer road riding with other people. Find the right club and they won’t care that you are wearing mtb kit. I really enjoy going out on club runs, plenty of choice of what pace and distance you want to do and very friendly and sociable, again if you find the right club.

mogrim

I’ve had my road bike for about 5 years now, done plenty of long rides (including a few big days in the Pyrenees) and all using my trusty Time Atac MTB pedals + shoes. So IMO road specific pedals+shoes are definitely not needed, although if you’ve got the cash they’ll almost certainly be more comfortable.

A small saddle bag is an excellent investment, filled with at least one spare tube, tyre levers, and maybe an emergency gel or fiver. You can probably get away without including a multitool as mechanicals are IME pretty rare on the road, though obviously it’s a risk…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

using my trusty Time Atac MTB pedals + shoes. So IMO road specific pedals+shoes are definitely not needed, although if you’ve got the cash they’ll almost certainly be more comfortable.

So long as you have something stiff is the key though

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This is what you need to be a road cyclist

[video]https://youtu.be/JRCNwDpua30[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

shortcut

I think this depends on what you ride now and how you want to ride the road bike.

It is after all important to check out The Rules for helpful guidance on what is appropriate on the road. So Road Shoes and Pedals for Road Bike, Lycra, No helmet peak, Glasses outside you helmet straps, Shaven Legs, fake tan and most importantly no team, national or champion kit unless you have earned it.

In reality – what you have (assuming you ride XC) with clipped pedals and shoes would be the most appropriate as a start then lycra if you haven’t already got it. Oh and take the peak off your helmet.

core

Removable peak on your helmet if you ever intend riding in the drops, padded bib shorts just because they’re very comfy and the best thing for the job (and not that dear if you shop around/aldi) and that’s about it.

Aldi ‘casual cycling shorts’ over bibs are good, decent fit, light enough, don’t bunch.

I use same (xc ish) jerseys on road and MTB, MTB SPD shoes and pedals.

dovebiker

Padded mitts will probably help absorb some of the road-buzz if you normally wear unpadded gloves. Whilst normal MTB XC kit is fine to begin with, you may find flappy clothing a lot more irritating when trying to ride fast or into a strong headwind. MTB XC shoes and clipless pedals are fine for road use, but flats probably won’t help too much if you’re trying to develop a faster, smooth pedal stroke. Road pedals have a bigger engagement area and lower stack so do make you feel more ‘engaged’. Also, as you’re riding a bit quicker you’ll also feel the chill more in the cold and wet and flappy clothing doesn’t hold the heat as well.

fasthaggis

Veet 😉

teef
    Free Member

Bright coloured jerseys & jacket – you ain’t going to be seen in grey & black.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Road Biking, what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.