Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road bike with disc brakes for racing?
  • noblebikes
    Free Member

Hi,
    I am new to the racing scene and am yet to have a competitive race but i was wondering if my road bike would be allowed in a race with british cycling?
    My friend told me that disc brakes are not allowed but i scanned through the rulebook and I couldn’t find any mention of disc brakes being illegal on a road bike in a road race.

The rulebook states that you must have a brake on each wheel.

So my question is are disc brakes allowed in competitive races via british cycling?

Cheers

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

No. UCI haven’t approved them yet.

tonyg2003

Yep not allowed. Any commissaire will ban you.

nickjb
    Free Member

Probably because they didn’t exist when the rulebook was written. The UCI is not at the cutting edge. Basically they count as a change so need to be approved. Optimists are suggesting it could be as soon as 2016

zangolin
    Free Member

As other have said – no in road racing.
    Yes in cyclo-cross.
    I think the UCI are rumoured to be making 2016 Paris-Roubaix a disc brake race – so still a long way to go before UCI give the full go ahead.
    This article gives a little background to the long process:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/bikes-and-tech/stopping-progress-debate-hydraulic-disc-brakes-pro-peloton_340905

noblebikes
    Free Member

Ahh this sucks.
    So basically disc road bikes are a bit of a waste at the moment IF you want to race them :/

noblebikes
    Free Member

^^ thankyou for all the info, I thought it best to ask before I get signed up and ready to go and then have the door slammed in my face

TiRed

If the commisaires are like ours, you’ll probably be ignored; mudguards have passed muster. But your summary is correct, no disks for BC races. You can, however time trial on them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do triathlon instead. No one has given mine a second glance in all the races I’ve done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road bike with disc brakes for racing?’ is closed to new replies.