• This topic has 38 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • is it legal?
  • jacko54321
    Free Member

To drive with a cast on your wrist?

Drac

No

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if your typing is that bad with it I'd not try driving 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

SFB+1

Oh no!

wwaswas

if you can't type with it on then don't drive…

if you can get a medico to sign soemthign saying it won't hinder you driving then you'll be ok, if not then you'll be scuppered if you have an accident.

jacko54321
    Free Member

Did it on my Phone!

Jamie
    Free Member

Which has a spellchecker 😉

Drac

Probably while he was driving.

firestarter
    Free Member

intrestingly i was told that altho i could drive with my cast on my insurance would be invalid if i had a bump. not sure on if its true or not i ignored it

Underhill
    Free Member

I was told that insurance wouldn't cover me to drive with my wrist in a cast.

Which made it awkward to get home as my car was parked outside…

jacko54321
    Free Member

I'm not expecting to drive for the next couple weeks, but the cast is on for about 8 weeks so wasn't sure about lat
    er.

Pigface
    Free Member

Could the reply by simonfbarnes be construed as rude? 😉

I drove with my right wrist in a cast and it was painful and miserable. No idea about the legal aspect.

gnasher
    Free Member

I think your insurance would be invalidated

vario_99
    Free Member

Depends,

Does the standard of driving fall far below that ordinary standard of driving as a result of having the cast on?

If yes, then its an offence

if no, then it's not.

vario_99
    Free Member

ordinary standard is applied by the reasonable person test – would any member of the public notice a significant change in the drivers manner of controlling the vehicle.

grim168
    Free Member

Broke my scaphoid a few years ago and was put in a short arm cast. Guy fitting it told me I couldn't drive as I wasn't insured. He then asked me how I got to hospital, well you gotta get home have'nt you 😳 I drove the whole time as it was my right hand and I felt it didn't impede my driving.

aracer
    Free Member

My understanding was that it's not illegal, but that you would have to inform your insurance company. Note that the latter requirement doesn't invalidate your insurance in a legal sense, just means that they'll be suing you to get their money back if they do have to pay out.

Personally when I had my wrist in a cast I just cycled instead! Got home by bus and fortunately that was back in the days when hospital car parks were free, and nobody seemed too upset at me leaving my car there for a couple of weeks.

wwaswas

I felt it didn't impede my driving.

most drink drivers/mobile phone users who drive make the same argument.

just because you feel safe in 'normal' driving it doesn't mean it won;t affect you in an emergency situation…

vario_99
    Free Member

Most insurance policies state – "anything to impede your control of the vehicle" then it would invalidate your insurance.

for example no arms or legs.

however if you can show it doesn't impede your control then no issues.

vario_99
    Free Member

Emergency situations are different for example evasive manoeuvres or sudden braking, some of the most able bodied people would struggle, from experience.

docrobster
    Free Member

Fine, go ahead drive with your wrist in a pot.
    If you have an accident your insurance company will be more than happy to cover you.
    They are after all well known for giving away money when they don't have to…

Or perhaps not?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Could the reply by simonfbarnes be construed as rude?

I considered it to be purely informational! And I didn't offer a death threat…

midlifecrashes

Mate of mine's left arm finishes at the elbow, he drives a regular car unadapted. Sometimes he wears his prosthetic, sometimes not. The cast itself wouldn't worry me, but whether you had sufficient hand strength or lack of pain to retain proper control might.

vario_99
    Free Member

Unfortunately the law is interpretive and as such is wide open with holes. stating fact, hence why there is such a low conviction rate for traffic offences.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Didn't even occur to me that it would be a problem when I did mine. Left hand. Holding the wheel was fine, changing gear took about 30seconds to adapt technique to be comfortable. The cast took the force so it didn't hurt, I just needed to grip slightly differently.

jacko54321
    Free Member

Wasn't expecting a reply like this! Is there ever a friendly thread on here? The banter is quite funny. I don't think I am going to drive

Drac

Can be classed as not in full control of a vehicle the same as the old law for mobile phones. Add that to invalid insurance means your driving without insurance makes another law your breaking. Or you can carry on as someone on here has a friend with one arm.

iDave
    Free Member

surely you can just use your knees to steer if your good hand has to let go of the wheel?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is there ever a friendly thread on here?

you are a lovely person and I'm sorry you're hurty, of course you can drive your car sweetie and just ignore the nasty men!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Did my achilles tendon a few years ago and had a cast on my right foot.

Wasn't meant to drive but needed to so did. After some practice my car control was absolutely fine. I'm sure I could have passed any driving test with the cast on.

I think if you can demonstrate your control is not affected then you should be fine.

jon1973
    Free Member

I think if you can demonstrate your control is not affected then you should be fine.

If you have an accident which you caused you may have trouble convincing a magistrate of that, even if the accident wasn't down to the cast.

dr_death
    Free Member

Most of the time we just tell people not to. The DVLA takes a dim view of people driving when they have an illness/injury which impairs their ability to drive. Insurance companies also look for any way out of paying up if you do have an accident and will use casts as an excuse. Ring your insurance company and ask, I expect they will say they won't cover you…

namastebuzz, you are a berk

dr_death
    Free Member

Well there you go, thanks.

paul_m

I had this issue a few years ago.

Spoke to my insurance company who said I would be fine to drive IF I got a letter from my Doctor saying I could drive. Spoke to the Doctor who said he wouldn't write a letter and it was up to the insurance company. So I ended up stuck between the two and ended up not driving.

Also broke my wrist about 15 years ago (it seems to be a recurring theme in my life) and was a witness to an accident where the police were called. I was asked by the Police if I was driving, which I said I was and they weren't fussed about the cast on my arm.

So I don't think the Police care, unless it causes an accident, but if you have a problem I bet your insurance company will use it as an excuse not to pay out.

br
    Free Member

Broke my left wrist, no problem driving (with an auto), also buggered my left leg at the same time. TBH the hardest thing was getting in and out of the car…

konabunny
    Free Member

the law is interpretive and as such is wide open with holes.

On the contrary – a law which was strictly proscriptive/prescriptive would be unworkable because it would have to address every conceivable hypothetical situation.

DezB
    Free Member

I felt it didn't impede my driving.

most drink drivers/mobile phone users who drive make the same argument.

Having a cast on your wrist impairs your judgement/distracts you ?? erm..

When I had my cast on my doc said it was ok, but it was a broken hand, not wrist.

DezB
    Free Member

Lol – followed Drac's link. found "Broken Limbs". Under it could've sworn it said Butthole Surgery ! 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘is it legal?’ is closed to new replies.