Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ripping DVD's to iTunes / ipad
  • transapp
    Free Member

So, I’ve got to admit, I’ve never done this. For myself, I wouldn’t bother but Mrs Transapp is convinced we need to put all of Disneys greatest on the ipad / iPhone for mini T. So, there must be a relatively easy way to get the buggers into iTunes? I use a PC with windows 7, ipad 3 and iPhone 4. Any pointers greatfully received…

Oh, and I know the legalities bit, but really, if I’ve bout the film once, I don’t feel bad about making a digital copy to watch!

CountZero

Stock answer: Handbrake. This question pops up about once a month or so.

jota180
    Free Member

Quicker to simply download them in most cases

transapp
    Free Member

Thanks for the help.

Jota, do you mean via iTunes or torrents? If iTunes, I’ve alredy bought them once, if torrents, will that work with ipad? (I’ve never done that either!)

jota180
    Free Member

If you’ve paid for them already, I don’t see any issues getting them from anywhere you can

Anything marked as x254 should be fine on an iPad as it’ll be a mp4 file
    I’m also pretty sure there’ll be ways to play most formats, I’ll let you know if and when my new 3g iPad Mini turns up

druidh
    Free Member

Although it’s still illegal.

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Anything h264 (or x254 sic) will not just play on an iPad.

You need specific .m4v or .mp4 files to play on iPad. (Not to over complicate it, but these contain the h264 video and apple friendly audio. h264 can come in lots of other formats that the iPad wont play)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@transapp – great idea, that way you can have the film library for the kids anytime

I’m Mac based and use RipIt and Handbrake – it can mean a few steps to get the DVD into the format you want for iPhone and iPad but it’s easy to do. I have an external hard-drive with 100’s of GB’s of movies etc. Very useful to take around with you.

It’s perfectly legal to buy a second hand DVD, RipIt then sell the DVD on

FWIW I also buy content via iTunes, eg Strength in Numbers and All I Can

EDIT: I have a Seagate drive – just saw one online £35 for 500GB – if you start ripping movies you will fill up your hard drive and slow your machine down if you leave them on the main machine – suggest you get an external drive

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m Mac based and use RipIt and Handbrake

Why? What does RipIt do that Handbrake can’t? I ask because I have a Mac and just use Handbrake to rip and convert DVDs for the iPad/iPhone/Apple TV etc. Never used RipIt

RichPenny
    Free Member

Do you just import them into itunes after ripping?

RichPenny
    Free Member

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry, I really want to know 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Me? Yes. I use Handbrake’s pre-set for Apple TV 3 and when done I just drag and drop them into iTunes. Works a treat, especially with iTunes Shared Library, which means all the Apple devices in the house have access to everything.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why? What does RipIt do that Handbrake can’t?

Habbit I guess, I started with RipIt (pre iPad/iPhone) so already paid my $20 for the license. TBH I didn;t even know Handbrake could do the ripping 😳

First I rip/convert to format I want – then put them onto the external drive – then I import into iTunes Library so I can download them to the device. I don’t keep all the movies in iTunes but I could possible set it up that way, after I’ve watched them I tend to purge the iTunes down to keep the main machine’s disk quite clean

EDIT as per @stilltortoise – I use shared library and Apple TV

GrahamS

Anything h264 (or x254 sic) will not just play on an iPad.
    You need specific .m4v or .mp4 files to play on iPad

Nah. AcePlayer app on iPad/iPhone will play just about anything, including the usual XVid/AVI/MKV formats that DVD torrents usually come in. No need to fanny about converting stuff.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/aceplayer-powerful-media-player/id481574647?mt=8

johndoh
    Free Member

Just doing this myself (long trip with kids coming up. Tried Handbrake etc but nothing worked (or at least were not intuitive enough and I gave up trying).

I ended up downloading this http://winxdvd.com/giveaway/ and it works perfectly – two clicks and it was ripping and worked first time (tested on iPad and Macbook Air).

I believe the free offer ends today.

(It needs a PC to rip on though)

transapp
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m doing my first one now (Finding Nemo!)

johndoh
    Free Member

Pah – the latest Disney release (rerelease of Cinderella) won’t copy – it seems they have upped their security.

I am finding the quality isn’t brilliant though – tried a few settings and it all seems quite low resolution. Certainly usable though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ripping DVD's to iTunes / ipad’ is closed to new replies.