Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rim strip needed for Stan's Olympic rim?
  • Or just the yellow tape? Good rim? I hope so.

Random, but anyone seen this unicycle clip before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hZzYg9YlMo&feature=related

I am sure it's super-skillful, but it just leaves me cold.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Just built up some wheels with these rims.

All I have used is 3 layers of black tape, lots of soapy water and sealant. My rimstrips from my 717's were to wide so i thought i'd give it a go. Tyres are Nobby nic/racing ralph.

No problems and still fully inflated after 24+ hrs. Even managed to inflate them with a mini pump which surprised me! 😀

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yellow tape should do the job nicely and by all accounts (on here anyway) it's less fiddley than the rim strips (and cheaper and lighter). Just make sure you buy the right width tape (i.e. 'for Olympic rims') and watch the video on the Stans no tubes website before having a go at getting them up. Good luck!

Oh and yeah, I really don't get it (and I can even ride the unicycle)

Onzadog
    Free Member

You might get away with yellow tape but the advice I was given for Stan's rims was that I should use the yellow tape with UST tyres and rim strip with normal tyres. I went against this advice (with a slightly different setup, flow rims/ADvantage eXception tyres) and found that the advice was actually spot on!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I've used yellow tape on Olmpic rims with normal tyres (MUCH lighter) with no probs. One took a little time to seal but once it did, it was great. I really wouldn't bother with rim strip – but obviously it's up to you…

Anthony
    Free Member

I use Olympics, Flows and 355s and never used anything other than just the yellow tape on various different tyres.

Dougal
    Free Member

Used Olympics + Yellow tape on really light non-UST tyres for a year. Eventually found it was easier to get the tyres on with a rimstrip in. I also had a tyre burp all it's air running without a rimstrip, though admittedly this was off a rather large step-down during a race.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rim strip needed for Stan's Olympic rim?’ is closed to new replies.