Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rigid forks- slower?
  • nosemineb
    Free Member

Would you expect to be slower with rigid forks instead of suspension forks at your average red trail centre?
    I thought the less weight would have helped uphill and as i am not the best at downhill anyway i didnt think i would lose much time there. Have you gone rigid and were you faster or slower around your favourite routes?
    Thanks

saladdodger
    Free Member

I went back to rigid years ago from suspension and on the local 11mile loop I was 4 minutes quicker

but it was a long time ago, 17 years ago infact with brand new Pace elastomer forks they were realy shit rigid was alot better back then

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don't know if I'm any faster but I am grinning a lot more.

Probably because it is something different.

amplebrew

I found that I was slighty faster over a short ride on my rigid bike, but on longer 20 mile plus rides I was better on my front sus.

I got tired a lot quicker on my rigid bike and have made a few silly mistakes ending in crashes that I swear were because I was fatigued and had tired arms etc

westkipper
    Free Member

Really depends on the surface, I'd expect rigid to be quicker uphill on the typical trail centre, but if there's lots of rocks and roots it might not be so clear cut.
    I once, due to a mechanical, swapped out my bouncy-bits for a rigid fork for a race, and found that it made me quicker on the descents- more confidence in the tracking and feel maybe? lower, more predictable centre of gravity?
    Anyway it surprised me.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Interesting! Rode dalby today 3 min slower than my pb [with suspension forks] but that was a year ago and i believe i am fitter now. Hands hurt like hell and arms were really taking a beating so prob backed off a bit more on the downhills and fast sections to.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Keep debating this with myself.Sure they are more comfortable but I'd only run 80mm (29er) and a pretty hard 80mm at that (ss).Most downhills I use as rests anyway as theres little real time to be gained from pinning it (for the extra effort) and they would be 2lbs heavier to lug uphill (and locked out).Not to mention costing £719 (fox) and needing servicing all the time.Probly (sic) stick with big tyre at low pressures.
    But if they were faster-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I win most of my arguments with myself.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I have a bigger tyre on the front but could drop some pressure out of it which might help.
    You forgot to mention how ace they look to!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Never would have entertained fully rigid before but for me 2 things make it work-funny sized wheels i.e 29" and no innertubes i.e 20psi no pinch flats and they still roll like 40psi.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rigid forks- slower?’ is closed to new replies.