Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • riding up snowdon
  • tterry

I'm planning to ride up the llanberis path early saturday and was wondering if anyone had any advice having not done it before.
    Can you ride all of it, or is the path too rocky? Also, what is a respectable time for the ascent? as this will help me plan a start time to get off the mountain before the voluntary ban starts. I realise its a bit of an open ended question, but would like a time to aim for.
    Was thinking of descending on the ranger track then heading back to llanberis.
    Any other advice?

Thanks,

Tim

carlos
    Free Member

Sorry no advice but a few of us are planning the exact same thing in a few weeks so this could prove a valuble thread.

Carl

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If you're fit and on your own it'll take about 2 hours budgeting for some stops.

You can ride about 80% on a light XC bike. Less on a big lump- I took my Norco Fluid LT up and at 33lbs it was mostly doable but there's a steep bit that hurts.

ton

my mates went up on friday afternoon/evening time.

they parked at the bottom of the ranger path, rode up the zig zags, then went left on the track to brithdir.
    then when it was legal time, went up the llanberis path, and descended the ranger path.

rocky, wet, very misty, very windy and very very slippy.
    good fun allround 8)

i went up cader idris, it was much the same, but not quite as long.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

did it a couple of years ago. It not an all day ride by any stretch of the imagination. 2.5 hrs up & 20mins to get off.
    If I were you I'd go up the llanberis, down the rangers path, turn right (North east) half way down over the ridge and back down to llanberis.

I was on a 120mm 2003 Enduro & that was plenty. Oh & take a bell to ring at the peds who don't want to get out of the way 😉

snowpaul
    Free Member

2- 3 hrs up and 20 -40 mins down.

ENJOY ! watch out for the voluntary ban agreement

paul

thepodge
    Free Member

There is a few of us off here going up this Saturday, email me and I'll drop you some details

rkk01
    Free Member

Agree with the 2.5-3 hours.

First bit of tarmac is pretty steep (!).

You'll do well to ride all the way up. IIRC the bits before and after Clogwyn station / railway overbridge are steep and steppy (as in walker erosion protection steps) – well beyond my capabilities to ride up those bits.

lowey

2 to 2.5 hours. Expect some carrying near to Clogwyn. Ranger track is Ace as is Telegraph Valley back to Llanberis. If its wet though, the Ranger Bedrock is VERY slippy.

Well worth doing though, Ranger is one of my favourite descents I have done.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘riding up snowdon’ is closed to new replies.