Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding Pen Y Fan
  • robd

Firstly anyone ridden up pen y fan? If so any route recommendations?

Thanks.

creamegg
    Free Member

Could be wrong but I don’t think there’s a permitted route up there. Think you can get close but not to th summit

PhilO
    Free Member

Nearest you can get lawfully is the top of ‘the Gap’. You could get up from that side with a lot of pushing and carrying, but not recommended. The path from the Storey Arms side is better wearing and would make a nice descent, but is absolutely heaving with walkers on anything other than a foul day, so please don’t try that, either!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother.

You can’t ride up legally & it would be one hell of a carry..

I did it with a Bergan about 20 years ago…haven’t bothered since 😉

ryanctj
    Free Member

As already stated it’s not worth the effort. The Gap is a great route, and if you want to do a sneaky trail then the descent off Fan Y Big looks more interesting (though I’ve never ridden it). If you want to ride a big mountain legally, Snowdon would be a better option.

coatesy
    Free Member

I got taken into the middle of nowhere on the promise of a brilliant descent once, turned out to be the Pen y Fan footpath. Lot’s of walkers (obviously not happy to see us)all the way down, and a no cycling sign on the other side of the gate at the bottom to explain the unhappy walkers.Even without the walkers, and the legal aspect, it was a bit crap to be honest, I probably wouldn’t bother even if it was to be allowed.

seanoc
    Free Member

A couple of years ago a couple of us took bikes up the main drag, from storey arms, making sure that we got to the top before first light. As soon as the sun popped out we headed down. The two walkers that we passed were pretty friendly and pretty amused that we had already been to the top.

The descent is pretty awful though, the water bars placed every few meters make it pretty nasty (for punctures) and fairly unenjoyable.

Probably better of heading North (past the obelisk) off Corn Du.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riding Pen Y Fan’ is closed to new replies.