Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ride North Wales – Loop de Loop real world experience
  • carlos
    Free Member

Looking at riding this in the near’ish future and was just after a bit of local knowledge as to what it’s really like?

Yeah I’ve read the notes and it seems a fair bit on roads but not knowing the area and not much of a write up it’s a toughie to work out.

I’m waiting for a map to turn up and will plot it properly but after real world opinions

Whilst I’m on, what’s the Moel Famau loop starting in Cilcain like, it’s not on the site but I do have a route from an old MBR

Thanks

project
    Free Member

Probably at the moment very dark, tommorrow very wet and muddy, all the trails seem to turn into large sreams all going downhill.

Not to steep in places enjoy.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Rode a loop around a lot of it at the weekend. Plenty of mud, but all rideable, great fun on what was a sunny day.

carlos
    Free Member

I guessed it would be damp, is there a lot of Tarmac and fire road type stuff?

Prob going to be a weekend daytime ride in a couple of weeks, navigation looks pretty easy.

All sounds good, cheers

konagirl
    Free Member

Not ridden all of it. The area offers more of a day out than technically difficult stuff although there are a few rough climbs. The loop round penycloddau is mostly gravel bridleway with some road and a few bits of grassy singletrack. On a clear day there are nice views. The links between that loop and Moel Arthur is single track that might be pretty muddy but flows nicely. I wouldn’t bother with the Ruthin bit if you can get yourself to the car park at Moel Arthur early.

I really like it for a day out.

Not sure where the mbr route goes, but the bridleway from moel famau to cilcain marked as the clwydian way is nice grassy single track but hard to make into a long loop. will be muddy at the moment!

carlos
    Free Member

Cheers.

Konagirl, I was kinda hoping it would be a big techy day out, with a decent ratio of ST to Fire Road/Stoney Bridleway/Tarmac but it seems it’s more bias to the later.

With the weather being handed out ATM I think plans might have to be revised as don’t fancy a day out of riding bogs and road. If it continues I can see us at a Trail Centre, which isn’t perfect as I prefer the natural stuff, but better than nowt

bigmick25
    Free Member

I’d have a look for routes starting around Cilcain taking in Moel Famau, lots of good riding round there,if a little moist at present. Some may be a little cheeky but its pretty quiet around there at present and you can string together routes with virtually no road sections at all.
    Or just get a map and explore.

Here’s a good route to start you off.

http://www.theedgecycleworks.com/mtbroutes/cilcain-circuit/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ride North Wales – Loop de Loop real world experience’ is closed to new replies.