Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Reverb questions
  • RichT

I’m looking at using one of the current offers to get a reverb, but have a few questions:

I’ve heard it is hard to fit the lever in a good position with shimano shifters. Is this right? I have the I spec brake and shifters (on same clamp) and will probably go for a LH reverb lever on top of the bar.

I used to have a gravity dropper and used the 1 inch drop all the time. Is it easy to find an intermediate position with the reverb?

Should I just get the Thomson dropper instead?

Thanks

robware
    Free Member

I’ve got a Reverb with Shimano brakes and levers. I’ve found positioning the lever the right way up is easy enough, but positioning it upside-down (like I do) is hard to get in a good position.

I want it upside-down to protect the lever, but I’m yet to find a decent position for it. I may give in and have it the right way up.

iainc

i have same setup, and have left hand lever upside down on right. It is well protected but it is a bit inboard on the grips, so I tend to not move try and it mid rocky descent 🙂 …I did once….

rhid

I got the right hand lever mounted upside down on the left and it was pretty straight forward to do. I have brake set where i like it, reverb lever then shifter. Its the front shifter so doesn’t really get that much use, but even so its in a perfectly managable position. It may be better to have the brake and the shifter mounted seperately?

jairaj

Yep I think mist people who are not running a 1×10 system complain its hard to fix the reverb remote under the bars with Shimano shifters.

I use the ispec fitting too and either the brakes and shifter have to be moved further away from the grip to make room for the reveb or vice versa. Either way it doesn’t work for my small hands as I can’t reach the shifters or reverb (which ever is further away) without taking my hand of the grip.

Wrestled with it for ages trying to make it work. In the end just fitted the lever above the bars. I much preferred the lever on the KS LEV.

therag
    Free Member

I use a right handed lever upside down on the left, between the grip & a shimano brake.
    Using 1×10 tho, so no shifter on the left.
    I’ve also got a 31.6 reverb in the classifieds

Northwind

TBH the reverb lever’s a pain in the arse, it’s very bulky and I find it wants to be mounted in the exact same place as most brakes. Ideal if you’re using matchmakers and avid, not so good for everyone else. If you’re 1×10 then upside down on the “wrong” side is almost always going to be the best option, just to give it crash protection- the lever’s not strong, and replacement parts are bloomin expensive.

(for me it’s not possible to get both the reverb and brake lever where I want them, I have to make a big compromise on the reverb lever- ymmv.)

I don’t use intermediate positions that much but it’s simple to do- unless you’ve got some reason for wanting it exactly 1 inch lower. I used to have a 3-position gravity dropper and tbh it was harder to use the middle position on that, than it is to leave the post in the middle on a reverb

RichT

Thanks everyone, very useful.

Saw the 31.6 on classifieds, but need a 30.9mm

nemesis
    Free Member

I used to have a gravity dropper and used the 1 inch drop all the time. Is it easy to find an intermediate position with the reverb?

I’m not really a natural ‘dropper’ so I find dropping a small amount useful as dropping the full 4″ feels really wierd. I’m still fairly new to it and do find it a little hit and miss at the moment in getting the drop right (ie not too much) but not to a point where it’s really a problem and I can see that as I use it more I get better at dropping it just how I want.

mattbee

The first inch is the hardest. Keep on with playing with it.
    Once you are used to that, you’ll be going full length all the time and loving it.

vincienup
    Free Member

I had a lever under bar with slx shifters (not I spec) and avid brakes but no matchmakers, it was fine.

Now I’ve got Sram shifters and actually it was a bit trickier.

I think what really makes the difference is how you place your brakes. Mine are placed for single finger and relatively high with an idea to keep a straight pull from finger on lever to elbow while in a descending position. The Reverb lever tucks under the brake master cylinder and I can trigger it with my thumb without moving hand position on grip.

So, I have grip, then nearly an inch of clear bar, then shifter, brake and Reverb all bunched up.

Works for me…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Reverb questions’ is closed to new replies.