Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Required protection advice. No not that kind of protection!
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

I have seen some body protection on CRC and wondered at what point it becomes a requirement for mtbing. Is it overkill for SDW riding and basic cross country stuff or can it come in handy at anytime? Only having had a handful of minor offs resulting in no more than a grazed knee, I am cautious to splash out. However, I am going to try and up my riding in 2014 so more opportunities to fall off, the most adventurous I can see me going would be a trip to the lakes, grazedale, whinlatter. Maybe a trip to Wales and most certainly some time spent at QECP and Swinley.

This is what I spotted at a reduced price that got me thinking 661

m0rk
    Free Member

Knee pads at QE have helped me a lot this last year. Not sure I’d want to wear your linked item though

johnj2000
    Free Member

Cheers Mork, pretty happy to wear it but having never injured either chest or shoulder I am struggling to see the need. Now knee pads I have avoided as they look so uncomfortable however both my knee injuries came courtesy of tree roots at QE so you make a valid point.

m0rk
    Free Member

Bimbled round QE all year long with knee pads – fine for three hour rides. First time I used them was laying over onto the chalky berms, it was pretty comfy compared to knee/chalk interface

My only ‘torso’ injuries wouldn’t have been protected by the top though, I’m struggling to imagine a scenario where I only fell off a bit 🙂

twistedpencil

In recent years I’ve gone from just a lid to gradually becoming robocop on a bike 🙂 started with knee and shins, of course after having had years of rocks bouncing off the shins, then about 3years ago got one of those 661 sub layers. Touch wood I’ve not had much cause to put them to a significant test yet. The elbow pads will take quite a hit though. Don’t notice it when riding.

They give me confidence to hit things harder, probably misplaced mind, so work for me. Fancy riding some mini enduros this year to build up to the mega in 2015, so have just ordered a new Sub layer, from crc in the sale, and an urge full face lid. The transformation is nearly complete 🙂

theotherjonv

I have bigger stormtrooper style knee and shin pads for proper rocky trips,for regular surrey hills / swinley stuff I never bothered. Until I had a really minor off at swinley in September, on one of the surfaced trails which was like concrete with embedded small sharp stones. I smashed a knee so hard it was massively swollen (still is a lump under the knee now) and the effect of sliding over the surface was akin to running a cheese grater over it. It cost me 3 weeks riding to be usable again, so now I wear G-form knee and elbows for everything.

They have potentially saved me a couple of times from any injury, difficult to tell what would have been otherwise because I’ve also had plenty of unprotected crashes that I’ve had no injury or minor injury from. They’re very light and unobtrusive both physically and visually, they fit under shorts and tights easily.

Have a pair of black size L knees for sale if anyone’s interested; bought 2 pairs for sizing and wore them a couple of times but just too small. £25.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Toj-how would you suggest I judge the required size?

iainc

I went over the bars on a section I ride routinely, 3 weeks ago. Normal kit and Giro Xar. Unconscious, concussion, ambulance, face surgery, helmet split, few days in hospital, still sore. Would never have considered wearing more than I was…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a very personal preference and the worst thing people can do is mock people for wearing what they feel comfortable in.

When I was back in the UK and based around the lakes I was Knee/Shin every time and elbows about 60% of the time. There were a lot of rocks around though I rode with people who had nothing. I even sported the much hated Met Parachute for a while 🙂

Now in Tasmania there are a lot less rocks in most places an I’m not normally running anything on normal rides but there are trips where I will take them.

Looking at my Knee/Shins they look like they did their job, add in it’s cold and wet in the UK and they do a good job of keeping my legs warm.

hs125
    Free Member

I bought that same top a few weeks back. I’ve never worn protection other than a hat before, but have an old shoulder injury i wouldn’t want to land on again. I’ve only worn it a few times, on rides where I’ve thought I might need it, but haven’t tested it by crashing yet. It is comfortable and you don’t notice it is on when riding. The elbows and shoulders feel like they would give a fair bit of protection, more than the photo suggests. I’m not sure about the chest panel, I think a foam back protector would be more useful.
    I’m sure in the summer it’ll get warm wearing it, but I think it is worth having even if it is just worn selectively.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Iannc- sorry to hear about the accident, sounds a bad one. This isn’t a dig at your post or situation, but what extra protection do you think would have made a difference other than a full face helmet? Or was the point that you can’t protect from every eventuality unless you turn into robocop to use twistedpencils analogy.

therag
    Free Member

I bought that top for an alps trip, it gets real sweaty when any pedalling is involved.
    Most rides I wear a xc helmet, gloves & knee pads. Most of my riding now is uplifting in s.Wales so I sometimes swap to a full face. Recently bought elbow pads but find them too uncomfortable.
    Wear what you feel is right for the job in hand.

iainc

Johnj2000 – my point was the second part,that a simple routine bit of trail when something goes a little wrong, can lead to a nasty fall. So, yes, sometimes these things will happen and unless I was dressed in full face helmet and some armour, on what is an xc loop, the outcome could be serious. I’m an OK rider, but something just went wrong, dunno what as have no memory of it. I’m not off to buy a full face helmet though.

chico66
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of veggie knee pads that go on for every ride. Knees are pretty exposed and the minor inconvenience of wearing them far outweighs the inconvenience of a skinned/bruised knee after an off.

I’ve one of the tops in your link that I wear for rockier stuff, can’t see the point of the chest pad and yes it’s sweaty but so’s anything else. It wicks well and I forget I’m wearing it. Being underneath obviously means less faff if you have to layer up/down during a ride. Reduces the storm trooper look but increases the Schwarznegger look! 🙂

At that price I’d say go for it. One word of warning – if you’ve the beer belly look like me the torso is snug!

johnj2000
    Free Member

iainc – yes, I see your point. You just never know do you and there is no point in worrying about it because it may never happen, just try and be as safe an sensible as you can be and still have fun I guess. Might stick the face guard back on my parachute though.

chico66

One word of warning – if you’ve the beer belly look like me the torso is snug!

I am rocking one of those fine bellys you speak of, took me years to cultivate and I hope that the tight fit will allow it maximum exposure in the car park when changing out of sweaty gear 🙂

twistedpencil

I didn’t realise I had a beer belly til I bought mine! I transition from bare chested to loose top over the sub layer very quickly when in the car park at the start vice versa at the end of rides, getting them off is also comedy when you first start using them.

I tend to use for every ride now, however most riding will involve a rocky descent or two.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Going for the XL and will stretch it over a wok for a week before first use

jam-bo

at what point it becomes a requirement for mtbing

unless you are racing DH its never a requirement, more a personal choice.

I used to, but now I rarely do.

Northwind

The way I see it… Knees are exposed, and delicate, and complicated, and highly useful for all sorts of jobs. So I wear knee pads pretty much all the time, I reckon the argument for them is at least as strong as the argument for helmets, and like helmets the drawback of wearing them is tiny. (obviously you’d sooner get a crippled knee than a crippled brain but it’s not like it’s a choice between the two). Elbow pads aren’t quite such a straightforward thing as it’s harder to get a really good, really comfy set and they can affect your choices for other kit more (like, can you wear them under your waterproofs, etc)

The big thing for me isn’t the big injuries- they’re pretty rare anyway. But it’s worth wearing a reasonable level of protection just for the smaller knocks- it doesn’t take much to cause you inconvenience or discomfort, whether it just spoils today’s ride or next week’s or causes hassle at home or at work.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^this

This last year it seems that anytime I don’t wear my pads I end up banging my knees/elbows. It could be that I’m always banging them but when I have my pads on I don’t notice 😆

Thanks for the PSA; I’ve taken on punt on it

mssansserif
    Free Member

I just received the 661 top. I probably wouldn’t wear it for XC but red or black routes i would stick it on and have better piece of mind. I’m not getting any younger and things take longer to heal these days.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Some of the XC routes around me are more technical and more likely to result in an off than any red or black route I’ve ridden at a trail centre so it’s rare (and usually accidental) that I don’t wear knee and elbow pads for all my rides these days. I don’t mind the knee pads, but the elbow pads are a tad irritating sometimes, so I hope this 661 top is more comfortable.

mcnultycop

I’d go for one of those for the odd trip to Antur I plan next year. I don’t reckon it’d go over my belly though – how does the XL size up in that area? Anyone have one and a tape measure?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Just about to press the order button so will let you know Mcnulty

gwaelod
    Free Member

This is largely OT, but the increasing prepondarance of quality MTB protective clothing will surely soon become a factor in transport politics soon –

Given that (IMO) widspread wearing of helmets by UK cyclists has come about largely by marketing within and to the MTB community, I reckon it won’t be long before body armour is market at/too non-mtb cyclists.

Leading on from that I wonder how long it will be before commuting cyclists are then pilloried for not wearing body armour. I reckon within a couple of years we’ll have some authority figure pointing out that some poor sod who was hit by a HGV wasn’t wearing a carbon fibre spine protector so it’s not surprising he suffered life changing injuries and so the damages should be reduced accordingly m’lud.

I won’t criticise anyone for wearing whatever they want too wear when riding, but if you are a manufacturer or retailer of cycling saftey equipment then sooner or later you will realise that “regular” cyclists are a much bigger potential market. Urban Stormtroopers could be coming along soon, and the anticycling establishment will embrace the concept wholeheartedly as it will reinforce the cycling is dangerous meme, and put off those who are not “cyclists” but could easily switch transport modes.

eltonerino
    Free Member
    twistedpencil

gwaelod, kind of get your argument but I don’t think the rise in helmets on the road has a great deal to do with mountain biking.
    I suspect the fact that they became compulsory for competing by the UCI had a more significant effect, I remember when tour riders could ditch their lids for a mountain top finish. When body armour creeps into UCI road events, that’s when you need to start worrying. Very unlikely as the UCI won’t allow modern technology on bikes to keep with traditions of bygone eras.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I thnk it would be amazing to see all those Lycra clad chaps on the road in body armour as well as general cycling commuters. My boy Harry would love having storm troopers whizzing about the roads and the thought of them wandering into the office dressed like that is just brilliant. Bring it on!

mssansserif
    Free Member

Law for bikes is only helmets and has been for a long time, if they don’t mandate armour for them then they will have a hard time forcing it on cyclists?

johnj2000
    Free Member

Received my 661 top yesterday tried it on tonight and from a stomach perspective the XL was the way forward, however the arms are a little too long,which means the elbow pads and shoulder pads are slightly out of allignment with the respective body parts.

Before I send it back I thought I would see if anyone has any experience as to whether they shrink a little with washing and use or whether they get baggier. No large left on the website so can’t get a replacement.

Cheers

John

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Send back…..get some Rugby pads from Decathlon 😀

mcnultycop

I’ve just ordered this. The xl is snug but I expected it to be. It’s an effort to get on but ok when it is on. As above the arms are a little long, but the elbow pads look like they’ll stay in position so this looks a good buy for the few uplifts I have planned this year.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Required protection advice. No not that kind of protection!’ is closed to new replies.