Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replacing a 2010 stumpy – whyte t130s or bird aeris , what do you reckon ?
  • moonsaballoon

Looking to replace my trusty old 2010 stumpy fsr . I am drawn to the whyte t130s and the bird aeris .Looking at the charts the sizing on them is fairly close all be it the bird achieves reach with a long top tube and short stem the whyte shorter tt and longer stem and a different h/a . I am after something to do a bit of everything , for example the stumpy has done 2 enduros , selkirk marathon , trail centers and natural loops with only a change to more appropriate tyres if i could be bothered . My thinking is the bird is a bit of a bigger bike which would be great for enduros but the whyte might be better for all the other riding i do , on the other hand its only 10mm of travel difference and the spec on the bird ticks all my preferences .
    Will try for test rides but have my doubts you can really get a feel for a bike in a short space of time . Also i have never ridden a 29er so should probably try one first . Is there such a thing as to much choice !

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a 2011 carbon Stumpy with 160mm Lyriks and it is easily the best most rounded FS bike I have owned. I have considered changing the frame due to upgradeitis but the only equivalents are mega money. I like the look of a Banshee Spitfire and the Transition Scout as they seem pretty good value.

z1ppy

I reckon the Whyte T-130 would fit 90% of riders who currently have more travel, still too much emphasis on travel nowadays & if you wanted more there always the G-150. That said the Bird is supposed to be awesome, and as you say they’re some great 29er to consider too (T-129, Segment & many others)
    Yes.. there is too much choice, but that’s no bad thing.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

You need to ride them. I tested a T130 and was underwhelmed. Bought a Cube Stereo 140 instead. Very impressed.

moonsaballoon

I think your right about the t130 , i ruled out the g150 thinking it would be great for the couple of times a year i do an enduro but overkill for everything else . I was thinking the aeris sat inbetween the two whytes so might be spot on .
    I ache i love the look of the transition scout but when you look at what you can get for 2 grand from bird its hard to justify the extra money

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve got the T-130 Works and it’s brilliant a mate is getting the Bird but he’s super fit so for the majority of just riding/trails he’s OK with a bit of extra weight and a bit slacker HA.

Either would be a reasonable choice to replace a 2010 stumpy fsr IMHO, the 130mm of travel with 650b wheels/tubeless tyres feels like more and it’s very controlled.

HTH

moonsaballoon

Thanks all , think I’m going to see about a test ride on the whyte , the enduros I have done have been the tweedlove ones and I’m not exactly Joe Barnes so I think it’s a matter of getting a bike for the riding you do rather than the riding you wish you did . That Bird is nice looking though

mimmiethecat
    Free Member

Another very underwhelmed with the T130, they are very small though which didn’t help. Quite liked the T120, and ended up going for a Stumpy 29er in the end after after trying a few 29ers.

Alex

Can’t speak for the Whyte, but I have an aeris with about 400km on it now. Been up and down Cadair Idris, all over the FoD in the wet and dry, Malvern Hills, CYB and the Marin trail, etc. It’s a great all round trail-bike (and I’ve had a few!). 3lbs lighter than my old NP Mega and definitely more of an all day ride. Seems to do everything pretty well. Sure I’m a bit over-biked, but I’m also under-skilled so that’s all fine!

I’m fairly sure I’d have as much fun on a shorter travel, lighter bike. Although only fairly sure 😉

If you’re in the midlands and want to try a M, you’re more than welcome.

moonsaballoon

Thanks for the kind offer Alex but I’m in Scotland , Would you say the aeris was closer to a stumpy than say the spesh enduro ?

Alex

Not really qualified to say. But I have a mate’s Enduro in the shed (it’s an old 2007 one) and I think the bird is probably closer to that. No idea not ridden any of the new ones. Climbs well enough tho. As well as a 30lb bike can anyway….

moonsaballoon

Thanks for that , plenty to think on . Going to have to try and sit on a few different bikes and see what feels right

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a 2010 stumpy – whyte t130s or bird aeris , what do you reckon ?’ is closed to new replies.