Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replacement hose for shimano RS505 shifters …. same hoses are mtb ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just fitted wider road bars and the front hose is a little too short and tight, so looking at replacing hose,have done mtb hoses before , just wondering if they are the same hose and fittings ?
    cant see anything that says its for 505 specifically ?

otsdr
    Free Member

The barb/insert is different (has a channel on the outside and a slight internal chamfer), and the manual says:

The connector insert is for this brake hose only. Use an appropriate connector insert according to the following table. Use of a connector insert
    incompatible with the brake hose may cause fluid leaks.

Safest bet would be to get the correct hose and inserts.

l.e. The road hose is listed as ”2.3mm bore”, while the MTB one is ”2.1mm”.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Edit – beaten to it!

Shimano Road stuff uses the “older” BH-59 (with the brass insert) whereas newer MTB stuff uses BH-90 (with the silver insert)

I’ve fitted mine (RS505 and RS685) with the BH-90 Hoses on the recommendation of a Shimano tech guy in order to “sharpen” the brakes up – I like little lever throw and very on/off brakes even on the roadie!

HTH

A

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1

2.3mm bore (older type). The olives are the same but the inserts are gold for 2.3 and silver for 2.1mm.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Thanks for the help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Replacement hose for shimano RS505 shifters …. same hoses are mtb ?’ is closed to new replies.