Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Replace worn stanchions or buy new forks?
  • gazza100

Noticed that one stanchion on my 08 Fox Float 140 RLCs is starting to wear and I’ve been quoted £300 to replace stanchions, crown and steerer. Are they worth repairing or would I be better off buying a set of RS Revs? Opinions appreciated.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Currently Mojo are charging just over £360 for this job or £390+ for a Kashima upgrade . They do come back virtually as new and these prices include a service . If you shop around you can get a new set of forks for that sort of money . If you like what you’ve got it may well be worth it , if you fancy a change now’s your opportunity .

rewski
    Free Member

Well I just had mojo service my 2010 Fox 32FRL FIT 140mm, upgraded to kashima coating too, well worth it IMO. They even put new stickers on 😀

Simon

Get rid, buy Revs.
    Or home service the Floats and ride to death.

ska-49
    Free Member

£300+ to fix some 6 year old forks?
    You can buy a brand new pair for a little more!

I would do as Simon says- home service and run into the ground. You’ll be surprised how much longer they’ll live.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Or home service the Floats and ride to death.

This. Eveb Loco has said the same on a similar thread. Theyre 6 years old so if youre a regular rider have had a decent amount of use out of them, and they are at the stage of “uneconomic to repair” (if youre replacing the CSU you’ll want all new seals etc). Keep on top of lower oil changes and ride em till they actually deteriorate in performance.

Then buy some Revs.

banks
    Free Member

suntour durolux rc2 ftw!

gazza100

I should mention that the quoted price includes servicing.

Simon

One thing to consider, will your frame take a tapered steerer fork or only 1 1/8″ ?

gazza100

Simon, the frame is a 2008 Orange 5 so it’s 1 1/8.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You will probably need the bushes replaced in the lowers too. If your stuck on 1 1/8th then it’s not a bad route. If they have only just started to wear consider seals and bushes and ride to death.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Replace worn stanchions or buy new forks?’ is closed to new replies.