• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Repeated knee injury – fed up
  • ahsat

Was making massive progress 12 weeks on from my knee injury (despite massive NHS delays, still waiting for my MRI results and physio apt). Thankfully I have been able to pay for some private physio.

And then yesterday it all went wrong…out doing a walk above Hebden Bridge, the sort of thing I’ve been doing the last 6 weeks. Whilst getting down from a very high stile, my foot slipped on the muddy ground and I collapsed into a muddy puddle with searing pain in my knee, knowing exactly what had happened.

We were stuck, I couldn’t walk accross the fell. I had to make that call I hoped I’d never have to make and get Mountain Rescue out. For some reason the call didn’t get through from police control (not at all MRs fault). We called back an hour late and spoke to the Ambulance service and things suddenly happended. After 2.5 very cold hours (very windy and foggy – thankfully the down jackets and Alpkit stove prevented anything more than just being cold) I was so grateful to see those guys in red coming out of the fog (weather had really started to come in) and they carried me off the fell to the ambulance. I have always had a lot of respect for MR and put money in the pot, but I can’t imagine what we would have done without them.

X-ray showed no bone damage which is good. However in that split second, I know I have literally ripped apart all that hard work of the last 12 weeks. Instead of the planned short ride today, I have a day at home trying to work out what on earth I do about all my work commitments over the next couple of weeks. I am due to fly to Mexico next weekend…

I could just sit here and cry my eyes out. I was making so much progress and it fills me with dread that it can collapse again like that. There is no way I can spend my life just pottering about trying to avoid injury. I am only 32, I live for the outdoors.

So wait till the end of the month for when I am due to see the consultant again.

I do know that compared to many many people, this is nothing. Just feeling rather low today.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you are awaiting results of an MRI why were you out walking ?

Maybe rather than paying for private Physio, which surly couldn’t help if you are waiting for the results of an MRI, you could have paid to see the consultant privately and had the MRI privately

Some times in life you just have to take it easy and be sensible.

martinhutch

Sympathies – but if you were able to recover previously, you’ll do it again. As you say, you’re only 32.

It’s natural to be gutted, but you have to just refocus, be disciplined, do what the physio tells you and no more.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

As per FunkyDunc MR results essential, until this anything is speculation. Call and hassle daily until you get them

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Also were you not taken to hospital after being rescued? If you hurt your knee that bad the you must have had review from Orthopaedics when you got to the hospital ?

Are the MRI results being reported through your GP or fracture clinic appointment? If through fracture clinic then they should have been able to check the results yesterday…unless you went to a different hospital to where you were scanned ?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

If it helps, I had massive soft tissue damage in my knee from a motorcycle accident 10 years ago (aged 25). In hospital for 3 days, knee collapsing under me, crutches, time off work, cartilage operation etc

The injury is still there but I completed a 13 mile Tough Mudder thing this year and cycle around 5000 miles a year.

You’ve had a setback, but your body will heal. It can be very frustrating.
    You have to be patient and also a little sensible for a while and don’t be too hard on your knee whilst its repairing.

Workwise, you may have to cancel things. You may have to work from home more (yay!)

Turn your mind to other things as well. If you can’t be as active physically, be active mentally. Do things you’ve been putting off – buy a Raspberry Pi and learn to code that or something?

bigad40
    Free Member

Feeling your frustration here.
    Popped my knee a few weeks ago at work, I can’t walk up more than 2 steps at a time, knee doesn’t straighten out fully, is stiff and painful.
    I’m a self employed plumber/heating installer and it’s slowed working down unbelievably let alone being allowed out in the hills to play.
    Stay positive.

ton

you will get over it love. coming back from injuries and surgery is a good test of someones character and strength i reckon.
    rest up, let the leg heal, do what the physio asks.
    and while you are laid up, plan rides, holidays, whatever.

but 1 thing to do is to keep on keeping on. no surrender……. 8)

oldtalent
    Free Member

Dunno what knee issues you have but I bought a pod mx knee brace (which incidentally I’m selling now) which stopped the twist/collapse problems I had until surgery. It was an absolute life saver. I could walk and ride gently without the fear of my knee going from under me.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but I bought a pod mx knee brace (which incidentally I’m selling now)

Don’t buy a knee brace without professional advice from an Orthopaedic doc or a good Physio, can do more harm than good.

deserter
    Free Member

Don’t buy a knee brace without professional advice from an Orthopaedic doc or a good Physio, can do more harm than good.

In what way more harm than good?

And how much involvement would they have in brace selection?

Genuine questions as I’ve always had pretty shitty care based around my knee issues for the last 25 years

blader1611
    Free Member

I had soft tissue knee reconstruction several years ago which put me out of action for over 2 years (i had crutches for 10 months!) so i feel your pain. Listen to the docs and follow their advice and only take advice from people who have had very similar injuries and not dr google.
    You will surprise yourself by just how much you can accomplish if you have to have crutches. Be strong,rest well,heal fast and you will come back stronger. You can always vent on here if things get tough.

ahsat

Under the direct instructions of both of the physio and consultant. They both decided I have been making good progress and can walk reasonably pain free, it was all part of the recovery plan and have been very slowly building it back up with the physio’s very clear guidance.

Maybe rather than paying for private Physio, which surly couldn’t help if you are waiting for the results of an MRI, you could have paid to see the consultant privately and had the MRI privately

The two options so far have been ACL or relocated-dislocation – which apparently are treated in a similar manner in terms of physio. I did look into going private speaking with a couple of clinics, but that same week it became apparent we had to sort out a roof leak, so £60 private physio once or twice a month, was a lot more affordable at the moment than £300 private consultation.

Call and hassle daily until you get them

I made another 4 calls on Friday and hopefully my GP will get the results this week as a result – its taken a lot of hassling as you say.

Are the MRI results being reported through your GP or fracture clinic appointment? If through fracture clinic then they should have been able to check the results yesterday…unless you went to a different hospital to where you were scanned ?

My consultant appointment (8 weeks after I went to MIU) and MRI was with a hospital in North Leeds. Yesterday I got taken to A&E in Halifax and I asked if they could pull up my MRI results, but they said they couldn’t.

you will get over it love. coming back from injuries and surgery is a good test of someones character and strength i reckon.

Thanks ton, needed a bit of Yorkshire tough love 🙂

And you and others are right I know, I have got through 2 previous knee injuries, two disc prolapses and a hip injury and I continue to get out and about after each one.

Thank you all for the support – I got up this morning in a real mental hole, especially knowing I had an empty house for the day. Anyway, family and friends have called and helped sort out the work muddle in my head and I have sent some emails sorting out the immediate issues (it was easier 12 weeks ago, it was University holiday). I am going to get down to the GP this week and see if they have got the MRI results and speak to them about what to do about Mexico next week.

I’ve managed a shower, coffee is on the go and I am planning to try and bake a cake later, and watch many cheesy films.

Healing vibes to all those who are also recovering from various similar issues, and far worse. blader – that sounds truly epic – well done getting through it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My NHS scan wait was 4 months, what are we supposed to do just sit on the sofa ? Now in my case I was well aware both knees have substantial damage with both ACLs broken and the OP isn’t so certain but all the same you can still be active.

OP tough times, it certainly sounds like a ligament tear. TBH an x-ray is almost pointless, the chances of you having a broken bone are pretty slim (they’ve X-rayed me too but i think partly as its cheap and easy !!). Sadly it sounds like you have many more months of rehab, I know all aboit that and its almost a way of life for me know. I have wobble-boards I try and use as often as I can plus physio and trying to build strength to allow me to excersize. After a period of inactivity I am back to 5-10k bike rides with no strenuous climbing,I know I have to build up slowly and I am only ever one crash away from square one or worse.

blader1611
    Free Member

Ahsat – my knee was a bit of a mess and it involved over 2 years of mainly physio and 2 operations. I allowed myself one day to feel sorry for myself and to tell the world how cruel it was and then i just knuckled down and did what i was told. I used a bit of yorkshire grit and humour and listened to a load of p1ss taking strangers on a cycling forum to get through the tough bits, i advise the same for you. I am in Leeds so if you need anything just shout, get well soon.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Ive always though physio was a fob off until you got it fixed properly with an operation. Fortunately I had private health insurance and by ignoring the docs and buying a knee brace allowed me to ride in morzine for the 1st time ever last year. My op was already booked for the week i returned so my view was if I spacc’ed my knee further it was just more work they had to do.
    I got fed up with having a wide turning circle whilst walking so as to not put undue twist on my knee.
    I have no regrets, it’s all healed up brilliantly.

ahsat

My hassling worked! Surgery called to say MRI shows a major ligament has been damaged (which is almost certainly my ACL based on previous conversations) and they think the consultant will suggest surgery. However, that MRI was from before Saturday’s second collapse (which didnt happen under heavy load) – and I am almost certain I repeat injured the same thing!

Oh well, if ACL reconstruction is the way forward, but in 12-months time I can get my life back for the next 40 years, then so be it. Taking it very steady now to try and keep myself in best shape possible if surgery does become the solution. We’ll see when I get back to the consultant in a months time.

Despite the diagnosis, I am actually in a far better head space then yesterday morning.

Thanks bladder – appreciate the Leeds vibes

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Repeated knee injury – fed up’ is closed to new replies.