Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Renting a house with outstanding energy bills
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m looking a renting a house where I know the previous occupants didn’t pay rent and did a runner. I would imagine this means there will be arrears on all bills too. I don’t really want to be liable for any outstanding debts. Is it simply a case of taking meter readings on the day I move in and supplying these to the energy company?

weeksy

we took date stamped photos of the meters too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep. take readings start the a accounts fresh.

maccruiskeen

The landlord would have had a deposit from the previous tenants to cover events like this – make it their business to ensure debts are paid and the property is ready to rent

Mister-P
    Free Member

I know it probably sounds like a stupid question but I’m a real worrier.

maccruiskeen

no you’re quite right – take the photo – its not just any unpaid bills from the last tenant its any power usage between them leaving and you arriving.

From my experience if there are any unpaid bills the power company will just send them to ‘the occupier’ at your address for lack of any other idea what to do. To prevent any confusion its worth setting up with a new supplier rather than continue with whoever was supplying the last tenant – if thats possible to know.

hora
    Free Member

Phone the companies. Tell them and even ask for a reader to come round if they like.

We had this with the old owner dying. It was adjusted asap. They didn’t ask for any death cert or proof.

Same with a previous rented house.

dbcooper
    Free Member

I’m a landlady, we make the tenants sign an incoming form with meter readings and take pics. You can only be held liabel for the bills due from your tenancy so you have nothing to worry about.
    I would add that the previous bills company will almost definitly eff this up royally, so be prepared for getting crap incorrct bills until they work it out. I would also advise do everything in writing. What you say or they say on the phone is much harder to back up..

boxelder

Don’t just stick with the same supplier – use a comparison site and change supplier – the outstanding balance can then never be against your name, and you’ll almost certainly save anyway.

keng38
    Free Member

Make sure you have copies of your tenancy agreement to hand and perhaps even have the meter readings put on it too.
    The power companies will try their hardest to make you pay for the previous tenants bills and if they were quite large will try and put in card meters (which cost more).
    Expect several letters over the next few months for the previous tenants but keep returning them to sender.
    When the knocks on the door start, show some I.D. And give them a copy of your tenancy.
    That’s enough for them to see and be satisfied.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

whilst the energy companies will probably sort it out pronto , consider the fact that the previous tenant may also be behind on council tax, taken out mobile phone agreements, credit cards etc.

scruff9252

How much to you want that exact house? Is it worth the hassle of baylifs chapping on your door?

hora
    Free Member

Wow, where did these Bailifs come from?

dbcooper
    Free Member

Yeah, there is a lot of overreacting going on here, and some people replying who just do not know what they are talking about (keng and scruff? Come on guys, why not only open your mouth when you actually have something decent to say instead of making shit up). The power companies have never in my experience of 16 years as a landlady tried to make the new tenants responsible. They chase landlords…
    It will be fine, you have no legal liabilty for the previous tenants actions, and in the extremely unlikely event that anyone comes knocking or tries to sue you, there is not a court in the land that would hold you responsible.

scruff9252

Not making shit up at all thank you very much.

I rented a flat as a student a few years ago where the previous occupants done a runner. Sent all post referring to them were sent back “RTS” and eventually, on several occasions had bailifs chapping on the door. Granted they left once satisfied the debtors were no longer resident however their customer service skills left a lot to be answered and were very accusatory.

If I had the choice again between a house where this might happen again, I personally would avoid. Its just a unessesarry pain in the backside.

Like I asked in my original post, is it worth it to the OP when there are usually quite a few houses available?

bigjim

When my ex moved out into her own flat she had this same situation, an outstanding amount from before she moved in, once she moved in and set up her own account british gas just changed the name of the outstanding amounts to hers and she was bombarded with bills, threats to cut supply and bailiff letters. She spent hours on the phone to them explaining, sent the bills back, they always said they had sorted it but they never did. Utterly incompetent. The bailiffs seemed more understanding than british gas. I’d avoid personally

DezB
    Free Member

had bailifs chapping on the door. Granted they left ..

There you go then. No problem.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Sent all post referring to them were sent back “RTS”

There’s your problem…

If you’d have picked the phone up I’m sure the bailiffs would never have arrived. It’s also easier to open the bailiffs post and ring them up to tell them who they’re looking for is not living there anymore.

Problems are easily solved if you speak to people.

And Keng…

and if they were quite large will try and put in card meters (which cost more).

Why the F would you want to do that!

Dickyboy

bigjim +1 & as for landllord/lady sorting it out, if its an agency they won’t be too bothered at all – or at least in my sons experience they won’t.

“Shouldn’t” & “no court in the land” may be correct but it still won’t stop the right royal shit load beforehand, as innocent students we moved into a house that had been used by a dealer, was at least 9 months before police & various undesireables stopped calling round for “John”

Avoid if you can is my advice.

jambourgie
    Free Member

The police were buying their drugs from “John” too?

scruff9252

had bailifs chapping on the door. Granted they left ..

There you go then. No problem

If you think having a couple of blokes threaten you on your door step, on multiple occasions, is no bother then good for you. My female flatmates at the time felt distinctly otherwise.

I on the other hand if I were looking to rent again would take reasonable steps to minimise that risk. Ergo I would not personally move into a flat where previous occupant done a bunk.

Your opinion may vary.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You need to confront bullies and put them in their place. Otherwise they never learn. See also; TV Licensing intimidation/Debt Collection Agencies masquerading as court-appointed bailiffs.

Cougar

It’s also easier to open the bailiffs post and ring them up

If you don’t mind the small matter of it being illegal to open mail addressed to someone else, ofc.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If you think having a couple of blokes threaten you on your door step

Tell them to bugger off and they will. Not much of a threat.

I bought a repo house and had a bit of this. I thought it great sport to let them issue their empty threats and then make them sling their hook.

jambourgie
    Free Member

It’s also easier to open the bailiffs post and ring them up

Also, why help a bailiff DCA? Let them do their own dirty work.

dooosuk
    Free Member

If you don’t mind the small matter of it being illegal to open mail addressed to someone else, ofc.

Please don’t lock me up.

Also, why help a bailiff DCA? Let them do their own dirty work.

Because for one 5 second phone call I can stop receiving post I’d otherwise have to RTS or bin and nobody will turn up at my door.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Fair enough. I’d rather they wasted their time and money chasing me. I know they have no teeth, and if they spend enough time and money running round in circles they might just not have enough left to intimidate more vulnerable members of society. Helps me sleep at night. These people are scum.

keng38
    Free Member

Dbcooper I have seen first hand the energy companies transfer the debt to the new tenant.
    In one case it was over £4000 and the new tenant was paying it as well!!

I have also seen the card meters put into properties to stop persistent non paying addresses, not paying their electric bills.
    AND then charge more than normal rates to recoup the balance.
    The new tenants then have a choice, pay over the odds or have no electric.

totalshell

as a landlord and working for a socila housing landlord its certainly the case that enegry companies will take money off anybody they can.. so when you move in take a dated photo of the meter reading and start from that point.

project
    Free Member

From experience moved into a new flat, previous tennants owed a lot of elecy cash,power co, refused to reconnect , i ha to prove i was a new tennant,tennancy agreement shown and supply reconnected.

But as a director of our housing coop, we had a tennant void a property, a few months latter baillifs,electrician and locksmith turned up to gain entry, which they eventually did, power disconected, and flat examined for illegal abstraction of power, and also to see if drugs where being grown there, extra points earned it appeared if they found some, they didnt.

Another tennant had a card meter installed when she moved in, the power company just upped the tarrif to pay for the previous tennants debt, after numenrous calls to a pathetic call center she got a large cheque back for the over payment she had been making and the meter readjusted.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don’t need to move in a hurry so I’ve knocked this one on the head and will continue looking.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Renting a house with outstanding energy bills’ is closed to new replies.