• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Removing stubborn cleats
  • lee170
    Free Member

Any ideas on removing stubborn cleats that have been there a while, I’ve tried Allen key,hex key, also drilling them but to no avail.
    Whether I’m using the wrong drill piece but it’s rounded the Allen bolt off and no the drill piece just spins

ichabod
    Free Member

I had to drill mine out once 🙁

teef
    Free Member

You’ll probably only have to drill the head off the screws – should be able to spin the threads out with your fingers. You may need a toughened drill bit if the screws are steel – larger diameter than the thread width.

richardthird

Dremel a slot.

nickc

metal drill bit, you’re aiming to get the bolt out, once you’re through the head the rest will fall out.

Top tip, if you want it to stay, locktite, if you want it to come out again, grease…(and stop heaving on bolts like a gorilla) 😆

BillOddie

Dremel the cleat itself, I think I did it at 12 and 6 o clock by each bolt, if that makes sense.

Once the bots aren’t under tension they are easy to remove with pliers.

Tracey

I’ve used an angle grinder in the past to put a big slot into the head and then a large T bar screwdriver to twist it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dremmel front to back, right through the inner bit of the cleats, once that’s cut through then the bolts aren’t under tension.

STATO
    Free Member

Dremel? and risk cutting into the shoe!? I just drill the heads of the bolts, a good 8mm drill bit will chew out the head in moments. Once the head is off you can unscrew the remaining stubs with your fingers (If they were greased) or throw away the cleat plate and replace in most shoes if seized.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Top tip (this only works BEFORE you round the heads off). Tighten the cleat bolt slightly to break the rust bond on the threads and get it moving, then undo it.
    Also dig all the crud out the allen key hole with a sharp pick or similar to give the key as much purchase as possible.
    Finally use a new allen key rather than a worn one. Reduces slippage / roundage to start with.

freeagent
    Free Member

And the moral of this story is to put Copper Grease on the bolt threads before you install them in future…

BillOddie

Dremel? and risk cutting into the shoe!?

Only if you are a complete numpty…

kcal

I took mine to the LBS. Can’t recall what I donated to their charity / biscuit box, but it was worth getting the MT-90s back up and running!

STATO
    Free Member

freeagent – Member

And the moral of this story is to put Copper Grease on the bolt threads before you install them in future…

Its rarely the threads that’s the problem, its the heads of the bolts that stick. After a years use, especially through a tough winter, any grease you put on the heads of the bolts doesn’t always give enough help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Removing stubborn cleats’ is closed to new replies.