Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing paint from Ti frame.
  • teasel
    Free Member

I want to remove the painted wording on a new frame. Got the usual Google qualifications sorted and there seems to be the opinion that certain chemicals can be unkind to titanium.

Anyone sucessfully removed paint with, say, Nitromors ? Will I need to wipe down the frame with something to stop any ‘eating’ process continuing…?

Tell me what you know/personal experiences, please…

druidh
    Free Member

Brillo pad/Steel wool?

And finish off with some Duraglit.

LeeW

Scotchbrite

teasel
    Free Member

The frame’s a polished finish – any problem retaining that using the steel wool technique…?

kristoff
    Free Member

Titanium is a very hard metal so paint stripper will be fine on it. I expect whatever you use will require a bit of repolishing to bring back the full shine

TheGingerOne

I used Nitromors to strip the lacquer off my original Tinbred and then rinsed it loads and polished it up with a light grade of sandpaper.
    That was 5 years ago and I’m still riding it with no issues 🙂

teasel
    Free Member

Excellent. Nitromors it is, then.

Just Googled Duraglit as I’ve never heard of it. Just the job for polishing metal.

Thanks, folks.

andyl
    Free Member

water neutralises nitromors so when you wash it off you should stop any reacting.

Macavity
    Free Member

“…there seems to be the opinion that certain chemicals can be unkind to titanium”

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0010938X73900371

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/751528.pdf

First choice would be to try acetone.
    DOT 4 or 5.1 brake fluid is a good paint-stripper.

teasel
    Free Member

Thanks for that little gem of info, Macavity. A quick skim read suggests issues from alcohol and Nitromors contains methanol. Some of the info regarding dot brake fluid suggests it also contains [something]thanol that I’d have to study further to know WTF it actually is.

Think I’ll play safe and drop into a chemist for some acetone.

Once again – ta.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing paint from Ti frame.’ is closed to new replies.