Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing a woodburner – doable as DIY?
  • austin
    Free Member

I need to remove a woodburner from our sitting room as it is far too big for the space and in the wrong place. I think it has been there since the 1970s.

The flue goes straight through the bedroom above (not boxed in) and out of the roof. The flue seems to be contained in some sort of stainless pipe in sections, held together with metal bands. I’ve not opened this up yet so am not sure what the actual flue is made of.

We’ve been quoted nearly £1,000 to remove this and make good (from a couple of woodburner installers). Is this something you’d need a HETAS engineer to do or could a builder do it? Is there any reason why I couldn’t do this myself (with help – I imagine the woodburner weighs a lot) and just get a roofer to fix the roof? And lastly, is there a marker for old (vintage!) Danish woodburners?

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds fine, unless it has the likes of asbestos in it (canny see it, but someone else will know better than me!. I thought HETAS regs were only for installation, not removal.

Ask your local reclamation yard about the demand for such burners?.

sweepy
    Free Member

You must be the only person on here ever to take a woodburner out

MrNutt
    Free Member

Stick it on the classifieds here as free to collector/remover and it’ll be gone in about 3 minutes

TheBrick
    Free Member

Where are based¿

austin
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies – I realise I’m going against the STW grain but the burner will be replaced with a smaller one, in a different place.

TheBrick – we’re in Suffolk.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing a woodburner – doable as DIY?’ is closed to new replies.