Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removal and reinstallation of Headset from one frame to another
  • Leadfold

I am swapping forks from one frame to another. As I can’t get the fork crown race off, the simplest thing seems to be, to tap out the frame races and then press them into the frame I am moiving the forks to. Though I can borrow a headset press to install the headset in the new frame I don’t think I can lay my hands on a headset removal tool.

So my questions are:

Will I be able to tap out the frame races (working around the race with a hammer and bit of wood so I don’t damage it? Or is it going to be so tight as to make this impossible?

Once the races are out, are they likely to fit the new frame? I realise in theory the sizes are the same, but not sure if this works in practise.

PS I plan to follow the installation instructions on the Park Tools website. Which I have always found clear and easy to follow.

nickc

Yes, you should be able to tap out the cups. They’ll need some fairly solid hits, but should come out pretty successfully. I use a blunt large flat bladed screwdriver and a hammer. Block of wood will probably not be strong enough.

I’ve never not had a headset cup not fit a frame. Some are tighter than others, but they all go in.

Leadfold

Thanks Nick,

Reassuring to know it should be straightforward. I didn’t want to end up with two bikes in bits and nothing to ride.

Jenga
    Free Member

If you’re worried you can pick up headset removal tools for under a tenner on e bay.

coatesy
    Free Member

We’ve got a “proper” headset removal tool, it sits unused in the workshop while we use an old steerer tube because it’s easier and more effective.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My headset refuses to die, it has been on 4 frames and until the last change it was always knocked out with a hammer and a screwdriver. Now I have the proper tool and its much faster and it also means I dont worry about doing it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removal and reinstallation of Headset from one frame to another’ is closed to new replies.