Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Relationship help from medical scientists please……….
  • iDave
    Free Member

well, sort of……

I’m seeing someone at the weekend who works in developmental neuroscience. Please supply up to date snippets and little nuggets of current research type wisdom to enhance her perception of my breadth of knowledge etc

No need to cite references, just give me some smart stuff, esp questions I can ask her to disguise the inner cretin.

Thanks, I await in eager anticpation

crikey
    Free Member

Dave….. tut tut.

You could just say, ‘That’s interesting, I don’t really know anything about it, could you tell me more?’

She’s not going to be asking her friends about anaerobic threshold or VO2 max in order to impress you, is she?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Ask her about her views on vivisection.

iDave
    Free Member

Well yeah, but that’s besides the point.

Crikey – Nice one, some light reading there…

wwaswas

Why not just proclaim your ignorance and ask her to educate you? It might be nice for her to feel like there are things she knows that you don’t.

I think turning up with some sound bites and no background knowledge is more likely to prove you are a fraud than win favour?

Or, you could, if the subject of her work does come up, just do what my wife does whenever I’ve talked about working with computers – say it’s boring and start talking about something else…

j_me
    Free Member

Yeah could be a bit dodgy that approach, better to plead ignorance but express interest rather than appear poorly read.

However “Stem cells and opportunities for treating neurological disorders” should provide you with more than enough rope to hang yourself.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I have some interest in the area of neuroscience and have been performing a series of subtle experiments on the STW forum . This is a breakdown of the results so far –

hels
    Free Member

Get her to do all the talking, women love that.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

tell her she must be mental to work in neuroscience.

or

recent research has shown that brain stimulus caused by mountain biking can greatly increase the female hormone “hornidrone” and as part of the research could she help with a ride on sunday morning?

wwaswas

This is a breakdown of the results so far on intellect –

well, unless you do a fast edit the results are more of a comment on your posting ability than the collective stw intellect 😉

iDave
    Free Member

Maybe I best not mention scoring 5 on the autism test….

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think the site I’m image linking from has a random show / no show image feature 🙂
    It’s a great graph though –
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/2194

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just be a good listener.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bastard **** websites that don’t allow deep linking! A pox on them!
    I’ll have to copy that image elsewhere.

iDave
    Free Member

Love the category ‘morally helpless’ – I’ve found a home…..

hora
    Free Member

If I’ve spent all week working at the Lathe I wouldn’t want to discuss it at the weekend. All I would be concerned about is a good long hard shag.

Shes intelligent, doesn’t mean she doesn’t think or do anything else you know.

I always go for the geeky/bookish girl as they are absolutelty bonkers in bed 8)

khani
    Free Member

If she wanted to talk shop she’d do it at work, and if she wanted to date someone who was on her level to talk shop with, she probably has a lot of male colleagues, maybe she likes your Other attributes, and to have a laugh instead
    That’s what my brainy phd’d mrs told thicky me 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

iDave, take the chart along with you and ask her how many drinks does it take before she falls into that category 😉

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If you’re really serious, then subscribe to a neuroscience journal, and you can commence each conversation with “Did you see the article in this months Neuroscience monthly……..can you explain it to me?”

iDave
    Free Member

I could get the chart printed on a t-shirt maybe – there’s enough time

Khani, you assume I have ‘other attributes’?

crikey
    Free Member

Some neuroscience jokes, apparently…

http://www.bris.ac.uk/neuroscience/the_node/glutamate/giggles

hora
    Free Member

Try to impress her with info/knowledge that you don’t understand/have and you’ll come across as awkward and a bit insecure IMO.

Tell her about the American Bald Eagle with large talons gripping your nuts tattoo that you have on your manservant.

She will be riding you like the favourite at Goodwood.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Get her a phrenology head as a ‘hello’ present.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Tell her that if it wasn’t for Carbon-14, you’d never date at all.

It’ll bring the roof down. Possibly.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Ask her opinion on neuroplasticity.

hora
    Free Member

Talk to her about Obama and Sitcoms.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dating STW style – wade in armed with snippets gleaned from google 🙂

khani
    Free Member

Khani, you assume I have ‘other attributes’?

Maybe she just want a bit of [/i]Ruff then
    Drop eight pints of wifebeater, stop for a donna on the way back, give her a slap, and try for a quickie in a bus stop, you’ll find out then 😆

hora
    Free Member

Or a sensible answer, be yourself?

iDave
    Free Member

hora, I’m sure I can manage that thanks. I don’t actually ‘need’ help, just interested in the responses and it was worth it for IanMunros chart alone. I’m sure I’ll be fine discussing the weather and x-factor….

hora
    Free Member

I’m sure I can manage that thanks. I don’t actually ‘need’ help

This is STW. Land of the single male…

iDave
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I forgot…..

So, what do I do if she tries to talk to me?

Sandwich

X-Factor? You’re doomed!

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m seeing someone at the weekend who works in developmental neuroscience. Please supply up to date snippets and little nuggets of current research type wisdom to enhance her perception of my breadth of knowledge etc

You not heard of Google?

I wouldn’t pretend to know anything about this subject if I were you.

Talking “shop” is very dull.

Ask her about her family, her interests and whether she’ll want to s…. no forget that. 😆

iDave
    Free Member

Ask her about her family, her interests

Gee, thanks, I had no idea……

PJM1974
    Free Member

If you feel the need to do some research to bring yourself up to par on a date then you’re starting out on the wrong foot IMHO…

…if you’re dating someone with very specialized knowledge of a complex subject, then it’s best to let them do the talking and ask 101 level questions. If she’s a decent lass, she will be cool with this and may surprise you by asking “just what tyres should I use for Cannock Chase”?

If the latter happens, marry her quickly.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Dave

This book will be your friend and will give you material for hours and hours of conversation.

I found the second half of the book hard work, as the author goes way beyond the evidence in furthering his thesis, the first half is everything you need to know about neuroscience in an easy to read format.

dave360

It’s not exactly rocket science is it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Relationship help from medical scientists please……….’ is closed to new replies.