Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Refusal to take part in religious school trip = racial descrimination?
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

How do we know that letter to be real?

given the storm going on I would assume a press release would have gone out from the school and the LEA by now pointing out it was fake

Seems like a docted one to stir up the kind of reaction it has on here

I really value the opinion of someone who chooses where to shop based on the skin colour of the shop owner – to be fair you said indigenous iirc then fled to your cave to avoid further debate- have you any evidence to support your claim its a fake?

thought not

Bye

jambourgie
    Free Member

Best thing to do would be to thwart the school by teaching your children to be uber-racists yourself.

yunki
    Free Member

Is there any way to tell if you are Eel..?

joat

News just in; it appears they have realised what a stupid thing they have done and have told parents to ignore the “inaccuracies” in the original letter. It’s on the BBC website, sorry can’t link as I’m incompetent with my mobile.

joat
    saalim
    Free Member

This letter was not sent out in error, as the head would have read it and been happy for her signature to be there, so this is just a bit of back tracking when they have realised that they have pushed the racial boat just a bit too far.

I am not sure whether I would have let my children go on such a visit in the first place, but then I would have looked at what sort of visit and religions were to be looked at before making my decision as to whether to allow or not. And before someone shouts racist, I am far from it, as I am agnostic and have seen/ experienced many faiths, and there are those that I would not wish my children to experience. That does not make me a racist, just a caring parent, as I have seen Islam at its best and worst out in the middle east.

I would certainly have taken the school to task over the letter had I received one such, and would certainly seek to have the head disciplined over a threatened abuse of power. Imagine threatening to leave something against a child’s name to carry all the way through school because of the action of a parent. Such nonsense leaves the school and authority wide open to litigation and shows the head teacher to be truly irresponsible.

Imagine the other side of the coin, where there was a strict Islamic family (only using this as an example, I have nothing against Islam but think on this, the prophet Mohammed married a 6 year old then consummated at 9, so be carful what you want your children to learn), back to the family, and a school was going to take children on a visit to a number of churches both Catholic and Protestant. Do you think for one second if the Islamic family removed their child from such a visit there would be a letter such as this? I think not. If such a thing happened, the head teacher would be removed from their position, so why is it ok the other way round?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have nothing against Islam am not a racist but

FTFY

Rolls eyes that folk still do this
    This has nothing to do with any religious group or people it was a school what done it

to turn it into islamphobia – whilst insisting you are not says more about you than Islam

PS thanks for joining just to post that – a banned member trolling or a current one to scared to say this openly?
    I will take your denial as a given

molgrips
    Free Member

it would not be fair for me to insist on atheism classes in their schools which is what they do to us all irrespective of our choices

What a bizarre thing to say. You study things that are part of the world. RE in no way promotes religion, in the same way that doing WWII in history promotes fascism or studying the empire promotes imperialism.

And you can’t study atheism either. That would be like studying history of a tine when nothing happened and there was no-one around. You don’t half come out with some bollocks at times JY 🙂

saalim
    Free Member

Final point of note, I used the term not a racist as its what had been banded around in the discussion, the correct term is I am not a bigot. But I was also correct in the former as the colour of someone’s skin does not bother me in the slightest, nor their personal beliefs.

yunki
    Free Member

the colour of someone’s skin does not bother me in the slightest, nor their personal beliefs

what about eels?

aracer
    Free Member

Did you try reading any of the links I gave yesterday? From the first one:

A letter from the head to parents on Thursday night apologised for “inaccuracies” in the previous correspondence.

In the letter Mrs Small asked parents to “on reflection disregard a section from the earlier letter”.

Do you still reckon it’s new?

joat

My bad aracer. I looked,I looked, promise, it’s just the latest threads still seemed to be in ranting mode and my BBC News phone app just popped up with the “News”. It’s good to know that the thought police aren’t immune from being shot down in flames though.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

It’s been written in Comic Sans – that’s Satan’s work right there!!! 👿

jamj1974

Death to Comic Sans!

Junkyard
    Free Member

What a bizarre thing to say. You study things that are part of the world.

Like atheism ?

RE in no way promotes religion,

Of course it does not nor the daily act of worship so the church would not care if it was stopped.
    And you accuse me of bizarre and talking bollocks

And you can’t study atheism either.

Erm ok whatever you say

That would be like studying history of a tine when nothing happened and there was no-one around

yes it would be just like that – exactly like that in fact 😯
    Are we not part of the world in which we live – well granted you may not be 😉 – or is it just religion you wish us all to study as its part of the world and atheism is what – made up and pretend

. You don’t half come out with some bollocks at times JY

oh the ironing

molgrips
    Free Member

Honestly Junkyard, I cannot understand your post. I can’t figure out what your point is. You just seem to be saying ‘yeah of course’ and rolling your eyes. Not much I can respond to there.

Edit – are you objecting to studying religion because you think it’s made up? What about literature and art?

Junkyard
    Free Member

My points are – i really dont see why they need repeating tbh.

To claim its not promotion is a bit mleh. The religious would object were it removed so they must think it serves them/their agenda in some way

To claim we cannot teach atheism, whilst saying we should teach the world is frankly bizarre and the anology you use ridiculous

I dont think its made up. I agree with you ,its not true.

Its not like art and literature. I dont have a problem with studying them or any other human fiction as long as we accept its fiction and do so for aesthetic reasons.

athgray
    Free Member

If the letter had replaced all mentions of the word religion with culture then I am sure that far less fuss would have been caused. Use of the word religion gets people into an unnesessary tizzy. I am not religious but realize that it does have significant social impact in the modern world. Have no problem sending my kids on such a trip. May help make them more world wise. I also feel that the punishment for non attendance is nonsense.

molgrips
    Free Member

To claim its not promotion is a bit mleh. The religious would object were it removed so they must think it serves them/their agenda in some way

Many atheists would also complain.

And what would be in your atheism study module? And don’t say Dawkins.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Refusal to take part in religious school trip = racial descrimination?’ is closed to new replies.