Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Redundancy/Vehicle advice, please!!
  • itchy
    Free Member

Coming to the end of my consultation period and getting made redundant on Tuesday of next week. Get four weeks pay in lieu, but they want the car back. Does anyone know if I should be able to keep the car for the four weeks notice?

Apologies for yet another redundancy thread, car not too important as we have another but really angry at the way all this is being done. I’ll calm down after a few beers tonight!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

if the car was part of your ‘package’ you should have the use of it up until the end of your notice period. BTW parcel is in the post.

itchy
    Free Member

Cheers Jon, have chilled a little in the last five minutes! Maybe my fault as I automatically assumed I would have it for another month. My better half is a solicitor so she’s going to ask her mate who deals with employment law on Monday.

wwaswas

if it’s pay in lieu then they’re compensating you for not having a notice period, effectively so the car may be taken back straight away – they should compensate you for that within the payment made though.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

They have to either let you keep the car OR offer you remuneration in lieu of taking the car back.

I kept mine. Took great pleasure in handing it back after using it as a bike mule for a month and never cleaning it. I also handed mine back early as i had another job before my notice period expired.

antigee

similar – when i pointed out it was clear in my terms and conditions that i was provided with a company vehicle begrudgingly was allowed to keep it for notice period –

got another job the next week and the miserable jobs worth heard about it and sent someone round to collect the car with the spare keys kept for moving car in and out of way if i’d left it at work

– good job that as required in the company manual i’d ensured the car was nice and secure with a crooklock on the steering wheel and the keys for it my pocket 3000 miles away

zaskar
    Free Member

Ask your employer!

project
    Free Member

If the car is used for work and youre not working , then youve not got a car, they could also report it as stolen or not insured for you to drive, the police take this very seriously.

antigee

project – Member
    If the car is used for work and youre not working , then youve not got a car, they could also report it as stolen or not insured for you to drive, the police take this very seriously.

need to differentiate between use of a vehicle for work and a vehicle provided as part of renumeration package – usually covered in terms and conditions by different phrasing eg – provided for travel to and from place of work and typically not available for private use – typical of vans cos impacts tax

or is a vehicle exclusively available to the employee and is also usually available for private use by employee and family – albeit usually with insurance restrictions

Sandwich

I kept mine for the month of my pay in lieu of notice. Check your terms and conditions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Redundancy/Vehicle advice, please!!’ is closed to new replies.