Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reducing lever throw on Shimano Brakes
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Got the new saints and whislt they are insanely powerful I would prefer a shorter lever throw before they engage. Bled a couple of times and they dont feel spongey so don't think its trapped air.

Any ideas or tips? The stroke adjust screw seems to do very little if anything!

doof_doof
    Free Member

I personally like that my Saints have alot of leaver throw, it means your brake finger is closer to the bar for more control. I used to have my old Hopes set up so there was minimal lever throw, but now I much prefer the Shimano feel. I'd say give it a try, you might come round to liking it.

And yes, the bite point adjust feature doesn't nothing useful.

Awesome brakes by the way.

MRanger156
    Free Member

At least its not just mine! Maybe they are meant to be like that – will give them a bit of time.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

YOu need to "charge" them- attatch a syringe with mineral oil in to the bleed nipple, undo the blled nipple and really force the syringe plunger. While you're doing that, shut the nipple and your brakes will now have less lever throw.

You don't need to take off the lever cap to do this.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Sweet, might give that a try, thanks.

doof_doof
    Free Member

SpokesCycles – Member
    YOu need to "charge" them- attatch a syringe with mineral oil in to the bleed nipple, undo the blled nipple and really force the syringe plunger. While you're doing that, shut the nipple and your brakes will now have less lever throw.

With advice like, I really hope that you aren't actually a bike shop like your name suggests.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Now im confussed 😕

doof_doof
    Free Member

If you have sufficient rotor clearance, take your wheel out, gently squeeze the lever once or twice so the pistons are slightly further out, then reinstall the wheel. Your rotor clearance will be reduced, but the pads will engage earlier in the levers stroke.

walleater

Yes, what doof_doof said, but just to add that you can use a bank card or the like in beteween the pads.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

doof_doof – Member

SpokesCycles – Member

With advice like, I really hope that you aren't actually a bike shop like your name suggests.

Why would that cause a problem? surely all it is doing is forcing a little more fluid in thus pushing the pistons out slightly? Got to be far less pressure than pulling the brake lever hard as the hose would blow off the syringe before getting too much pressure in there

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reducing lever throw on Shimano Brakes’ is closed to new replies.