Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me some winter tires?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

As per the thread title. Something ideally about 2.2/2.3 good a clearing mud, non UST, ideally with a kevlar bead to save weight. Typical use will be coniferous forest & heather bog mountain tops or typical wicklow mountains terrain for anyone that's familiar with it.

ton

maxxis swampthings are very good indeed….
    i used them at HTN last year…
    gonna get them out for this winter….

repatriot
    Free Member

Bontrager Big Earls Wet work well but very expensive! Maxxis Advantage or High Rollers seem to do the trick in most conditions. I am going with kenda Nevegal Blue Groove combo for this year but 2.1?

BruceK
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X's are remarkably good, but maybe a little on the narrow side at 1.8. They do the job tho, even when it dries out

carlphillips
    Free Member

you csn gt bonty mud x's in 2"

Swayndo
    Free Member

Another vote for Swampy 2.35s. Best winter/mud tyre by a country mile IMHO. Run a ST on the front.

Bonty Mud X 2.0 are a decent general tyre but are a bit on the narrow side and not very durable in my experience.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Plus 1 for swampthing.

I've got a supertacky version and its mentally grippy in most things. Until youre on a long climb. Then the rolling resistance is hard work.

But I use mine in the snow – I always gets amazed looks from folk: that a person can stay upright on a bike when they're having trouble walking!

Lionheart
    Free Member

Always went to Trailrakers, just amazing grip but pretty draggy with it, (friend is on Bonty Mud X, very good compromise) but now a days stay on the same tyre all year and enjoy the sliding, working the traction etc seems even more fun – but would use the Bontys if I raced

devs
    Free Member

+1 for swampies. Great on wet roots and I humbled far better riders in the snow last year. You'll get fit with them on too!

mboy
    Free Member

Bontrager ACX, in either 2.2" or 2.35" (though the 2.35" are BIG!) are similar to the Mud X's, though faster rolling and a bit more durable, though ultimately not quite as grippy in out and out mud. Good general use tyres though…

mossman_uk

I'm going for Panaracer Smoke/Dart Magic's. 2.0 up front and 1.9 out back. Old Skool.

catfood
    Free Member

Swampthing on the front, 2 inch MUD X on the back, works very well. Mud X are great in muddy conditions but I prefer a Swampthing on the front for inspiring confidence on wet roots, got a super tacky 2.35 on at the mo but will probably go 60a when it wears out as its a bit draggy, like having an octopus on your front wheel, very very sticky tho.

qwerty
    Free Member

Michelin Mud2

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Funny, usually when this question gets posted every week or so it comes down about 50/50 Swampthing and Pan Trailrakers. Obviously the Trailraker fans are out riding.

Definitely Trailraker 2.1's for the winter – amazing traction and grip. I ride in Highland Scotland, so have the same heather moors/bogs and coniferous forests all the time. Only downside is if you do a lot of road work where they are pretty draggy

zaskarrider
    Free Member

this winter i will be running panaracer mud pro's..
    ive tried many winter tyres but feel confident on panaracers

nuke

I'm going for a Mud-x 2.0 on the front and a ACX 2.2 on the rear on my hardtail.

z1ppy

2.2 Mud-x on the front and panaracer 2.1 trailraker on the back to push you through.
    Personnally I don't trust the grip of a trailraker for the front, and the mud-x aren't aggressive enough for the back in full on mud IMO

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've been using Intense Mud DH in the gloop, quality stuff.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some winter tires?’ is closed to new replies.