Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me some road shoes..
  • Daffy

…Who's best? What should I look for? How do they size up? upto maybe £80ish

[EDIT] Road bike shoes…thought I should clarify 😉

aP
    Free Member

sidi

Jammy111
    Free Member

je james have carbon soled shimano ones reduced from 170 down to 70 ish. i bought them and they seem to do the trick well. you aren't going to get a decent carbon soled shoe for less….

James

Daffy

Jammy, what size did you buy and what size are you normally?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Gearne fit me great and don't seem as silly priced as sidi. For a full carbon sole at that budget, dhb from wiggle.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Sidi aren't all that good IMO, cost a fortune but the quality doesn't back it up, they're also not that stiff. I use Specialized S-Works and really rate them but the Pro models are also good.

flip
    Free Member

I've always had Shimano, Sidi are far too narrow for me even though my feet are standard size 8 😉

Ed2001
    Free Member

Firstly you really need to try shoes on rather than guess. As for shoes imo there isnt a lot of difference between similar priced shoes certainly far less than the makers would have you believe.
    Over the years I have worn spesh,sidi,northwave and shimano. The best shoes I have are some specialized bg pro but will probably be more than £80.I would look for a deal on some of last years stock and you want nice stiff carbon sole.

rOcKeTdOg

i have some as new shimano ones, size 45 very cheap as they are too big for me

Daffy

RD – what size are you normally?

njee20
    Free Member

Sidi are over rated IMO, comfy off the bike, but actually not that great on.

Specialized get my vote.

shermer75
    Free Member

As far as sizing goes I'm normally a 48 (I know, I know, it's all in proportion! 😉 ) and I get Specialized shoes in a 48. So there you go, they seem to be bang on. Still recommend you hot foot it (*ahem*) to you nearest LBS to try em on tho…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Spesh Pro here

In fact all my cycling shoes are Spesh. Great fit and they last really well. My commuter shoes have been used day-in-day-out for over five years and they are still in good nick.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm the opposite with Sidi, don't feel that great off the bike but great on the bike – you obviously need to get the sizing right though.

Most of the Spesh range are fine (I have Sport, Expert and S-Works road shoes) although I found the buckle on the expert digs into the side of my foot. I also can't believe what they've done to the 2010 s-works, copied Sidi's eurocrap vernice shiny styling bleurgh.

Mister-P
    Free Member

My Shimano shoes are size 43 where as all my trainers are a 42.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Sidi for me everytime. I have two pairs (genius 5 and Carbon Energy) and they are beautifully comfy, and for me have been top notch quality. Did a lot of researching into sizing etc, but the bottom line for me for a perfect fit was to size up a whole size bigger. (I wear 42 normal shoes and tried 42, 42.5, 43, 43.5 in Sidi shoes) The 43's are perfect and I have never needed to change this sizing principle between different Sidi models, they are very consistent

rOcKeTdOg

daffy size 10, those are perhaps .5 size too big

Daffy

I'm a 9 🙁

Frankers
    Free Member

Blazin-saddles – Member

Sidi aren't all that good IMO, cost a fortune but the quality doesn't back it up, they're also not that stiff. I use Specialized S-Works and really rate them but the Pro models are also good.

njee20 – Member

Sidi are over rated IMO, comfy off the bike, but actually not that great on.

Agree with these comments am still using Sidi but tbh not so happy with the fit and life after using for 2-3 years, have been pleasantly surprised with Northwave, Shimano and Specialized offerings

Frankers
    Free Member

tragically1969
    Free Member

Daffy

You will need to go a full size up from normal she size in both Shimano and Sidi in my experience.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I have to defend Sidis honour somewhat, I've got some very comfy Dominators in the Mega wide fitting, do me proud on and off road.

Daffy – best slipping yourself into a bike shop (or two) to try on different shoes. Lake also seem to be more of a sensible fitting shoe too, though my old Spec Pros were okay, just a touch too narrow for me.

Presuming you have an MTB is it not worth just putting SPDs on your road bike to keep a bit of flexibility in terms for shoe/cleat compatibility?

corroded
    Free Member

Spesh all the way for me. I think they have a widget inside (varus wedge?) that tilts your feet a little – anyway, I find them spot-on. Have also had a pair of Sidis and thought they were very comfortable, but I wouldn't go back.

Macavity
    Free Member

Bont or North Wave

trickydisco
    Free Member

Spesh for me too. Changed from shimano to spesh on the mountain bike then bought a pair of spesh bg comp for the road bike and they are very comfy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some road shoes..’ is closed to new replies.